elijahsearle

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2012
Hi there!
I’ll keep this as short as possible but I’m planning my second build of my life and it’s a hefty investment and would love some feedback. It is going to be a primarily gaming rig fyi.

so here are the specs

-CPU: Either i9 9900k or 3900x
-MOBO: z390 MSI Godlike or x570 MSI Godlike
-GPU: ROG Strix 2080ti (eventually to be replaced)
-RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3600 2x8gb (14-16-16-36) eventually doubling to 32gb
-SSD: Pretty much any m.2 nvme drive that’s PCI-E 3.0 or 4.0 if I go AMD
-PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1200w Platinum
Cooler: deciding between a Noctua DH-15, AIO or custom water cooling.

(I’ve custom water cooled before, it’s fun, a nightmare and expensive, but also if I mess up it’s my ass so...)

What do you think? Anything you’d switch out or recommend?
Like for example, should I switch manufacturers for my PSU? My seasonic from my first build has been a dream but it’s too small for this build.

Also, for a gaming build where I don’t plan on switching the MOBO/CPU for 5+ years, do you recommend the 9900k or the 3900x?

I understand that the 9900k wins in almost every gaming benchmark, and overclocks more easily and has higher realistic RAM speeds.

But, the 3900x has 4 more cores, 8 more threads, PCI-E 4.0 and a larger L2/L3 cache. But once again, doesn’t overclock as well, and most games still don’t take advantage of many cores/threads. Also RAM speeds are effectively halved after 3600, and no graphics cards (yet) can take advantage of PCI-E 4.0

I’m sorry for the wall of text, but this is a heavy investment for me and no matter how many sites I’ve visited, reviews I’ve watched, I’m still unsure. I’d really appreciate any information.

Thank you!