New build, installed Win7, 10 minutes to boot

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
New build, installed OS on SSD, initial boot and any start of Windows takes about 10 minutes. I haven't installed any drivers yet but am worried I may have a hardware issue. Wondering if installing mobo drivers and SSD drivers will solve problem or if there is any diagnostics I can run to isolate the problem. I looked at the bios before installing windows and everything was recognized and looked ok though I wasn't sure what my CPU voltages should be (not overclocking, I know, I only got the k because it was the same price as non k at the time). i5 4690k, asrock h97m anniversary, 8gb corsair vengeance, samsung 850 pro. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No, it shouldn't take 10 minutes even without drivers installed, something clearly is wrong there, start making sure your Sata mode in BIOS is set to AHCI, try another sata cable to your SSD and reinstall, even an old HDD takes at most 1:30min to boot on a fresh install...

Do you have any other HDD connected besides your SSD? a faulty HDD can cause a very long boot up time for problems getting recognized.

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Sata was and is set to AHCI in bios.
I have a 2TB HDD also connected. Windows is installed on SSD. SSD is on Sata0, HDD is on Sata1. SSD is first in boot order. I used the new SATA cable that came with the SSD...think I should try swapping it out?

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Well, I'm glad there is no problem with the SSD. Should I just hook up the HDD now see what happens or will that just take me back to where I was? Also, boot time is crazy fast. Takes about 10 to 12 seconds from pressing power button to completely loading windows. Is that normal or just because I haven't installed any software?

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

After setting SSD as boot in bios and restarting, then reconnecting hdd, windows boots in about 25 seconds so definitely better. Only strange thing is that in Windows Disk Management, SSD shows up as Disk 1 and HDD shows up as Disk 0 even though SSD is in SATA0 and HDD is in SATA1...maybe those are unrelated or doesn't matter. Either way, thanks for the help.

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

After two or three good boots of about 25 seconds (not nearly as fast as when just the SSD was connected) I'm back to 3 or 4 minutes??? I'm also getting a screen before windows starts that says "Checking file system on E: (which is the HDD) The type of the file system is NTFS. One of your disks needs to be checked for consistancy. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue..."

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Its brand new so no data on it yet. Will run the test and see what happens.

paulys55

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Ran chkdsk and it found "1 bad cluster", I think it corrected it. Also ran Western Digital's LifeGuard diagnostic and it said everything was fine. At this point I think I'm just going to install the surveillance software (that is all this computer is being used for) and see what happens. Worst case is it doesn't work and I send the drive back. Or it does work and I just have to deal with the slow startup...the computer will be running 24/7 anyway so I will only be restarting it every couple weeks or so.