[SOLVED] New build: Intel 9900K PCIe lanes

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Ok......I'm about a month away from a new build. Regarding Intel "Core i9" PCIe lanes, they all seem to be at 16 . So if I want a graphics card to run at 1x16, then I have essentially used all the lanes correct? I mean, I want to add an NVMe drive as my main C: drive and that can use up to what....4 lanes? I also use a soundcard, which I believe takes up another lane. although I believe that's not a PCIe 3.0 lane....more like a 1.0 . I bought an EVGA RTX2080ti FTW and it's currently in my old Z97 system and running great@ 1440. So basically, without going up to an expensive X-series processor, pretty much everybody is stuck with their video card at x8 mode if you have other devices using lanes?

Does any card really take a performance hit with current and or near futrue games in 1x8 mode over1x16 at 1440 resolution? I'm trying to get the most lanes I can for everything.

Any thoughts.....

Solution
the 9900K on a Z390 chipset runs 1 GPU at 16 lanes....it is (or should be)faster than any 4790K cpu stuck in a Z97 chipset as long as resolution is below 4K....; but, if you are happy with current Z97 levels of performance, by all means, stand pat, and wait for Z490 or Ryzen 4000-series...

Never upgrade until your current stuff is nearing 'increasingly marginal' in performance...(who cares if something else gives 10 or 20 extra FPS if you are at 120 fps?)

If one must throw in a 1X PCI-e lane sound card, the GPU is not affected. (Not sure what happens if 4x lanes NVME SSD and a sound card are used, but, even if GPU lanes fell to 8X, does not mean one would notice, and certainly performance would be a few FPS lower, but, no where...
the 9900K on a Z390 chipset runs 1 GPU at 16 lanes....it is (or should be)faster than any 4790K cpu stuck in a Z97 chipset as long as resolution is below 4K....; but, if you are happy with current Z97 levels of performance, by all means, stand pat, and wait for Z490 or Ryzen 4000-series...

Never upgrade until your current stuff is nearing 'increasingly marginal' in performance...(who cares if something else gives 10 or 20 extra FPS if you are at 120 fps?)

If one must throw in a 1X PCI-e lane sound card, the GPU is not affected. (Not sure what happens if 4x lanes NVME SSD and a sound card are used, but, even if GPU lanes fell to 8X, does not mean one would notice, and certainly performance would be a few FPS lower, but, no where near 'halved')....

Solution

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
If I splurged and went to like an 2066-i9 10920X that has like 48 lanes, would it really be worth the money over like the i9 9900K? Some preliminary researching suggests the 2066 platform is too expensive for what you get.....I don't know....