Question New build issue

Jul 1, 2019
Hi,
I built a system comprising of 32gb vengence lpx ddr4 ram, i9 9900k, maximus hero xi, 750w cooler master psu, samsung pro evo ssd and a couple of previous hdd's from my old system. The system worked fine for about a week then crashed playing a game. It then booted to bios and then froze. I could no longer get to bios after that. I completed various tests (cmos reset, bios flash, booting with 1 stick of ram and no hdd's etc) and speaking to ASUS they advised me to RMA the board. I tried the new motherboard and got exactly the same errors and it wouldnt post which led me to the conclusion that it must be the cpu. I returned the cpu to the retailer within 30 days and they are telling me it will take up to 28 days to test the cpu. Does anyone have any advice as this time frame seems excessive to test the cpu. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2019
What GPU were you using? And what exact PSU is that?
It's a Cooler Master G750M PSU 'Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, 750W' RS750-AMAAB1-UK

The psu which worked fine on my previous i5 6600k build. I just transferred it over. I was using a evga black 2080 ti. I don't think its the psu as it powers the fans and the led error display was working on the motherboard.

It's a Cooler Master G750M PSU 'Semi-Modular, 80 Plus Bronze, 750W' RS750-AMAAB1-UK

The psu which worked fine on my previous i5 6600k build. I just transferred it over. I was using a evga black 2080 ti. I don't think its the psu as it powers the fans and the led error display was working on the motherboard.
Just because it provides some power doesn't mean it's not the PSU. PSU problems often arise only when the system requires more than a little power.

But now, what was the LED error code showing on the motherboard?

Jul 1, 2019
Just because it provides some power doesn't mean it's not the PSU. PSU problems often arise only when the system requires more than a little power.

But now, what was the LED error code showing on the motherboard?
Here is a copy of what i sent to Asus.
"I have tried the CMOS reset as suggested but can still not get to the bios to be able to get any further. I still get stuck at error 71. What does error 71 mean. Things I am reading online seem to suggest a fault with the bios chip. I have also stripped the system back removing GPU and using one stick of ram in the correct slot.

Yesterday again I took everything out,Reseated CPU, no bent pins on motherboard, using 1 stick of ram. I have tested with 4 different sticks. 1st boot I get d0 error, 2nd reboot error 18, reboot again error 40, error 40, then error 18 for a a while then error 04. Next reboot error 23 and lastly error 18. All these reboots were without making further changes."

When i got the replacement board i was getting a lot of 18 and error 23 messages. I then sent the cpu in for a RMA as previous things i had found online seemed to suggest this would be the motherboard or cpu.

Jul 1, 2019
Here is a copy of what i sent to Asus.
"I have tried the CMOS reset as suggested but can still not get to the bios to be able to get any further. I still get stuck at error 71. What does error 71 mean. Things I am reading online seem to suggest a fault with the bios chip. I have also stripped the system back removing GPU and using one stick of ram in the correct slot.

Yesterday again I took everything out,Reseated CPU, no bent pins on motherboard, using 1 stick of ram. I have tested with 4 different sticks. 1st boot I get d0 error, 2nd reboot error 18, reboot again error 40, error 40, then error 18 for a a while then error 04. Next reboot error 23 and lastly error 18. All these reboots were without making further changes."

When i got the replacement board i was getting a lot of 18 and error 23 messages. I then sent the cpu in for a RMA as previous things i had found online seemed to suggest this would be the motherboard or cpu.

Turns out it was the the cpu. I've had a paypal refund now for the cpu but not the return shipping or initial postage costs from Aria today. After my dealings with them and their rather rude customer service department i think in future i'll stick to amazon. Thanks for the advice.