New Build Issues

madman12

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Swore I had seen that CPU with integrated graphics but just checked and it doesn't. Ok, anything else?

As I've said issues just getting the thing to power on. It doesn't show any signs of life.

I've tried the motherboard with 2 PSU's. One bought for this, one I know works on my very first home build and neither powered up.

madman12

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014
Think I figured it out, CPU didn't seem to be seated properly and wasn't shorting the power button prongs but something else that looked exactly like the set that would contain the power button prongs..

Ordered another motherboard thinking it was that. Had to force the cpu heatsink off the motherboard taking the cpu with it. The amount and type of thermal compound was like cement. Ended up moving it around to loosen till it pinged off onto the floor. Either me closing the cpu handle on an unproperly seated CPU or that fall caused pins on one corner to bend. Managed to unbend them enough to seat properly, actually shorted the power button prongs and voila. LIFE!!! Now to get it booting...

Utter incompetence on my side.

Thanks for the checklist.

What GPU would match up well with this CPU, something like a 1050. Not much of a AMD user. Machine is for recording and possibly live streaming video.

madman12

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2014

To confirm I wouldn't need to specifically update the bios other than to get latest version in my case?