[SOLVED] New build keeping old GPU - advice request

Datwomey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
Hey folks :)
My PC recently went bust (well overdue for a new model anyway) in the middle of the college year and I need to get a new build put together ASAP for programming.
I'm on a short term budget but will be able to add to the build over the coming months so for the time being I'm planning on keeping my existing GPU and drives (the issue in my current build is PSU related) and then add on new ones over the holidays.
It's sort of a rush job so I've just had a look at some builds online and was wondering if anyone noticed any glaring irregularities (comparable hardware for a lower price, superior hardware for a similar price etc.)
My ideal specifications would probably run a little under Enthusiast grade but still be higher than your average build, I like to play games on high settings 144Hz and I need a beefy rig for college too.
Please see below what I've got so far.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO - MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
Chassis - Cooler Master MasterBox TD500
PSU - EVGA 220-G5-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 G5
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz DDR4, 16GB (8GBx2)
GPU - (for now) GTX 1070 (future) Unsure, before GPU shortages caused prices to skyrocket I would have gotten something like an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 but the price is around 1000USD in my country which is crazy, open to suggestions here please.
Drives - (for now) 1TBx2 Western Digital HDDs from 2016, 128GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD (boot drive) and 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD (future) Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

Thanks for reading, any input appreciated, hope everyone had a great Halloween.

Solution
Is the list you presented what you already own, or, is it a projected buy list?
What are your current specs?

Fix your psu issue for now, first.
That gives you time, the marketplace is changing.
The evga would be fine, I like the 10 year warranty. But, consider 850w in case you ever want to upgrade your graphics card to something strong. The 3000 series can have high peak demmands. A PSU will only use the power demanded, regardless of the max capability. Normallly, the price delta between 750w and 850w is minimal

With the launch of alder lake, you will likely have buyer's remorse with older gen amd.
I5-12600K will cost no more and be considerably stronger.
DDR4 is less expensive than ddr5 and does not seem to confer big...
Hey folks :)
My PC recently went bust (well overdue for a new model anyway) in the middle of the college year and I need to get a new build put together ASAP for programming.
I'm on a short term budget but will be able to add to the build over the coming months so for the time being I'm planning on keeping my existing GPU and drives (the issue in my current build is PSU related) and then add on new ones over the holidays.
It's sort of a rush job so I've just had a look at some builds online and was wondering if anyone noticed any glaring irregularities (comparable hardware for a lower price, superior hardware for a similar price etc.)
My ideal specifications would probably run a little under Enthusiast grade but still be higher than your average build, I like to play games on high settings 144Hz and I need a beefy rig for college too.
Please see below what I've got so far.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO - MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
Chassis - Cooler Master MasterBox TD500
PSU - EVGA 220-G5-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 G5
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz DDR4, 16GB (8GBx2)
GPU - (for now) GTX 1070 (future) Unsure, before GPU shortages caused prices to skyrocket I would have gotten something like an MSI GeForce RTX 3070 but the price is around 1000USD in my country which is crazy, open to suggestions here please.
Drives - (for now) 1TBx2 Western Digital HDDs from 2016, 128GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD (boot drive) and 250GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD (future) Crucial P2 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD

Thanks for reading, any input appreciated, hope everyone had a great Halloween.
Look for b550 motherboards, cheaper but just as capable.

Reactions: Why_Me
Is the list you presented what you already own, or, is it a projected buy list?
What are your current specs?

Fix your psu issue for now, first.
That gives you time, the marketplace is changing.
The evga would be fine, I like the 10 year warranty. But, consider 850w in case you ever want to upgrade your graphics card to something strong. The 3000 series can have high peak demmands. A PSU will only use the power demanded, regardless of the max capability. Normallly, the price delta between 750w and 850w is minimal

With the launch of alder lake, you will likely have buyer's remorse with older gen amd.
I5-12600K will cost no more and be considerably stronger.
DDR4 is less expensive than ddr5 and does not seem to confer big benefits over DDR5.

Solution