Question New Build: Lag, Freeze, Crashes

Nov 5, 2023
Recently built PC lagging, freezes and crashes. I dont know if it is a PSU issue since I have 300W headroom based on pcpartpicker: I double checked the estimated wattage was calculated based on max wattages.

Build: pcpartpicker list

Background:
  • I recently bought new CPU, MB, and RAM (AMD) , all other components are from old build
  • System freezes when left idle for a 30+ mins
    • Changed settings to never sleep and never go to screen saver, still freezes
  • Activated EXPO & power settings set to high performance
  • System crashed a few times when I was on a video call, sharing screen, and was compiling code
    • GPU and RAM utilizations were all under 30%, can't remember the CPUs utilization exactly, but I remember it was fluctuating, and reached over 80% during some times
  • I used to have i912900k, 32gb ddr5 build, and same thing happened when the build ran great for a few days then randomly slowed down when i did not make setting changes and did not make driver changes
  • System ran perfect for a few days then randomly got significantly slower:
    • As in, I made changes and downloads, system ran perfect for a few days, then randomly slowed down:
    • Did not change any settings from when it was running well to when it randomly slowed down
  • Temps:
    • CPU tops out at 50C, usually around 45C
    • GPU: consistently around 80-90C but this seems to be normal for my GPU
What I have done:
  • Fresh Windows 11 install
  • Ensured all drivers are updated
  • Took system apart and put back together to ensure all connections are fine
  • Moved flat 34" connection to HDMI on MB: I saw that having 2 samsung monitors on DP connection to GPU can cause system to freeze (I know one of my 34" is LG, but figured it was worth a try)
    • My GPU only has DP connections
  • SSD Health in good condition
  • Formatted SSD, then did fresh win 11 install
  • Cinebench 2024 results:
    • CPU (single Core): 136
    • CPU (multi core) : 1179
    • GPU: Not available
    • About: from app
      • CINEBENCH 2024.1.0 (Build Unknown)
      • Cinema 4D & BodyPaint 3D
  • BIOS: on F31
    • I initially had BIOS F32b but flashed to F31 since it wasnt beta
  • Moved PSU cord to plug directly into surge protector
    • It used to be plugged into a surge protector that was connected to the surge protector above
  • Did not turn of EXPO because it worked great with EXPO on for a few days

Lutfij

Titan
I recently bought new CPU, MB, and RAM (AMD) , all other components are from old build
How old is the PSU in your build and what did it power throughout it's tenure?

Formatted SSD, then did fresh win 11 install
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? As for the install, did you manually install all drivers relevant to the platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I initially had BIOS F32b but flashed to F31 since it wasnt beta
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed to the version stated above?

Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
Using Crucial's Storage Executive app, have you seen if the drive is pending any firmware updates?

By crash, do you mean the system reboots? Do you get any BSoD's? If the latter, then please pass on .dmp files.

Nov 5, 2023
I recently bought new CPU, MB, and RAM (AMD) , all other components are from old build

Formatted SSD, then did fresh win 11 install
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode? As for the install, did you manually install all drivers relevant to the platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

I initially had BIOS F32b but flashed to F31 since it wasnt beta
Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed to the version stated above?

Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4
Using Crucial's Storage Executive app, have you seen if the drive is pending any firmware updates?

By crash, do you mean the system reboots? Do you get any BSoD's? If the latter, then please pass on .dmp files.
About a year old now, but was in use for 6 months tops with this build. Not sure of power throughput because i dont know what that is, but my system was never under intense loads as far as i know. Ram would be close to 95% utilization when I was on zoom, using browser, and compiling code: Ram use was high because it was before i got the gpu.

OS was directly from microsoft's website: did not use ISO. Drivers were all directly from manufacturer's websites and did not use any of those "smart driver" software where it would scan PC to figure out what drivers were needed. These area all the drivers I used, they were all dragged to pc, and extracted before installing. When you say offline mode, do you mean without internet? If yes, I did not because win 11 requires internet to install, and i did not use ISO file & Rufus on current OS install. I did not run run with elevated commands, just double clicked it to install. Should I go back into all the drivers and run as administrator? and should I also go into device manager and delete all drivers before reinstalling drivers as admin?
  • GPU Driver: win 11 version
  • MB Drivers:
  • SSD storage executive app: had pending firmware updates, and just installed them, no change to system

I did not, should I do this now? Also to clear CMOS, should I do the following steps in the order below?:
  1. power off pc,
  2. unplug everything connected to MB,
  3. unplug PSU cable, wait a few minutes,
  4. take out cmos,
  5. wait 5 mins, then plug everything back in?
  6. I have not cleared CMOS before, and wanted to double check my understanding of how to properly do it.

Just did, did not improve lag.

Does not reboot, nor BSoD, computer turns off without any warning. I need to physically click the power button to turn back on. I have this power button, but doubt this impacts system. I have pressed it halfway before by accident, sending my PC into hibernation (I changed what power button does in the setting).

Last edited: