[SOLVED] new build let me know what you think

Jul 12, 2020
ok all im planning on a new build slowly in the coming months. heres what i have so far picked out let me know what ya think.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/7dd8Nq

i will be putting in more noctua fans than in the list there will be 4 140mm noctua fans and 4 120mm noctua fans.
it says ill be using a rtx 2080 super but if the 3000 series is out by the time i purchase then i will be getting a 3000 series.
i dont like amd have had way to many issues in the past with them and would like to actually be able to use my computer instead of always troubleshooting the bloody thing like in the past.
i dont like rgb and will not be connecting any of it.
i will be buying a corsair commander pro fan controller
i am aware the monitor setup is 1080p which im quite satisfied with i will be running dual 32" samsung monitors
i choose the noctua nh-d15 as a air cooler i dont want to use aio or any water cooling due to potential leaks
i will have 2 samsung 970 evo plus 2tb m.2 nvme drives and potenially a 4tb samsung 860 ssd if the ssd prices drop.

Last edited:
Solution
I have very few issues with the build - they were already covered in the previous thread, but there is the fan setup; I'm curious how you intend to do that.
That chassis lets you mount fans in 4 directions.
Rear(exhaust): NF-A14
Top(exhaust): 1 NF-A14, or 2 NF-A12x25s - as long as the first fan isn't overpowering the D15's front fan; don't need any cool air being pulled out before it gets to the cooler, you know?
Bottom(intake): 2 NF-A14
Front(intake): 3 NF-A12x25s
That's how I'd do it - but that's just me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have very few issues with the build - they were already covered in the previous thread, but there is the fan setup; I'm curious how you intend to do that.
Top(exhaust): 1 NF-A14, or 2 NF-A12x25s - as long as the first fan isn't overpowering the D15's front fan; don't need any cool air being pulled out before it gets to the cooler, you know?

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
for fan setup i was thinking about having
3 120mm in front (intake)
2 140mm bottom (intake)
2 140mm top (exhaust)
and 1 120mm rear (exhaust)
i plan on having the nh-d15 both fans exhausting upwards if possible if not then exhausting towards the rear.
i figure heat rises so if i can help it with a few fans and placement then why not.
as for the 10900k overheating i dont think it will there has not been alot released in regards to temps since it was released alot was saying before it released it was overheating but then jaytwocents (link below) did some testing and found that the cpu was running quite cool even overclocked
View: https://youtu.be/H5BN_Y7fF2I

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i figure heat rises so if i can help it with a few fans and placement then why not.
That is true - bar external forces that can influence the natural order of things, AKA, a fan.

i plan on having the nh-d15 both fans exhausting upwards if possible if not then exhausting towards the rear.
I just checked the online manual for the motherboard: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...7047_TUF_GAMING_Z490-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_v3_WEB.pdf (page 1-8)
You'll have to move the front fan to the back of the 2nd tower - IDK if you'll have enough room back there to do it.
A vertical cooler setup with that cooler is certainly doable - might have to give up a fan - but expect warmer cpu thermals, because the gpu exhaust is in a more direct path to get sucked up by the cooler.

as for the 10900k overheating i dont think it will there has not been alot released in regards to temps since it was released alot was saying before it released it was overheating but then jaytwocents (link below) did some testing and found that the cpu was running quite cool even overclocked
View: https://youtu.be/H5BN_Y7fF2I
I saw both that, and the one by Linus(Sebastian), and: while yes, it does run surprisingly cool, neither covers that the reason for that behavior has to do with how conservative Intel is with the power limits on this thing.
Users are not getting a steady 5.0ghz+ out of this cpu without removing the power limits; it's just not happening. It'll temporarily boost to 5.2-5.3ghz for 56 seconds, after which it drops into the low 4.0ghz range for most of the workload.

The power limit is a double-edge sword here: it's keeping manageable thermals because of it, but at the same time it can't flex it's full muscle except in short, bursty tasks.
Remove the power limits, get the power... but then the thermals will get out of hand for an air cooler.

View: https://imgur.com/YwqWtBb

That's just the power tables for the 10th gen cpus - that's how I knew about the 56 seconds thing.

Reactions: truckerlenny1990