[SOLVED] New build lights up but no fans or boot

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020
Hi guys! I’ve just built my first computer but it wont boot. When connected to power, the keyboard and the inside of the back panel of my motherboard lights up but nothing else happens. Not even the fans turn!

I have used:

Motherboard: Asus rog strix b450-f gaming
CPU: Amd ryzen 5 3400g
PSU: Corsair cp-9020122-uk cx series 650w
RAM: Corsair cmk16gx4m2b3200c16 vengeance lpx

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
Thanks for the reply. How can I do that if my pc doesn’t boot?
Your motherboard does not have a flashback feature that allows a BIOS update without compatible cpu. Therefore you will need a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the BIOS update before you can use the 3400g. You need to update to BIOS version 2605 or newer according to the ASUS support page. If you don’t have access to a compatible cpu then you could try asking a local computer shop, I would try a small independent shop.

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020
Well, are you positive you've connected the PowerButton to the right pins?

In which slots did you put the memory modules?

Thanks for the reply! I believe I have connected the PowerButton to the right pins otherwise the light wouldn’t come on right? And the memory modules are in the first and third slot as stated in the guide!

Thanks for the reply. How can I do that if my pc doesn’t boot?
Your motherboard does not have a flashback feature that allows a BIOS update without compatible cpu. Therefore you will need a 1000 or 2000 series cpu to do the BIOS update before you can use the 3400g. You need to update to BIOS version 2605 or newer according to the ASUS support page. If you don’t have access to a compatible cpu then you could try asking a local computer shop, I would try a small independent shop.

Reactions: Alextan10
Solution

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020

Thank you so much! I will see what I can do

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020

Just to be sure, would the AMD Ryzen 3 1200 work?

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020
Yes https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_CPU/

It works with version 0207 which is the earliest BIOS for that motherboard.
I managed to get my hands on an AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and it seems to work! The fans are now spinning etc. However, there is no display output. Could this be because my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics? The display I am using is this one https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-monitors/curved-lc27f396fhuxen/lc24f396fhuxen/ connected by HDMI. I have been using this display as a second screen for my laptop and it works perfectly.

I managed to get my hands on an AMD Ryzen 3 1200 and it seems to work! The fans are now spinning etc. However, there is no display output. Could this be because my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics? The display I am using is this one https://www.samsung.com/uk/business/business-monitors/curved-lc27f396fhuxen/lc24f396fhuxen/ connected by HDMI. I have been using this display as a second screen for my laptop and it works perfectly.
You need a gpu to get a display. As you say the 1200 has no integrated graphics.

Alextan10

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020
In the UK we have a second hand shop called CEX that sell PC parts, do you have anything similar? Or can you borrow a friends?
Hi, me again! I bought a cheap graphics card from CEX and it’s working now! Thank you so much for your help. I have another question about setting up a wireless network with a wireless adapter, I’m not sure if thats your area of expertise. I have installed the drivers etc for my wireless adapter and it appears on my pc but i cannot connect to it. When I open the network settings in the bottom right of my screen all it says is "Change settings, such as making a connection metered." When I try to change the adapter settings it says the same thing.

TRENDING THREADS