Question New build - - - - long POST, long boot and long shutdown times ?

May 13, 2024
I recently put together a system with the following components:

Everything brand new from Microcenter.

Motherboard: ASUS Z790-V Prime WiFi
CPU: Intel Core i9-12900K
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR5-6000 PC5-48000
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Gaming Overclocked Triple Fan 12GB
Drive: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB 3D NAND Flash PCIe Gen 4 x4 NVMe M.2
PSU: PowerSpec 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX

Problems:
- When powering the system on EVERY time the post takes 1-2 minutes. Monitor will get signal 5-10 seconds.
- Once posted it can take up to a minute to get to the login screen (sometimes very quick, have not noticed anything that changes this).
- Loading into Windows appears to be very quick but some USB devices as well as internet (WiFi or hardwired) can take several minutes.
- Once in Windows the computer runs flawlessly.
- Shutdowns take 3-5+ minutes. If shut down via start menu the shutdown box will disappear but the start menu will remain. The system remains fully usable for the 3-5 minutes then suddenly start shutting down.
- Once windows is shut down the system will remain on for many minutes (seen 5 plus) and finally turn off.

Troubleshooting:
  • Motherboard and CPU were both replaced via manufactures warranty. No change
  • Ram was swapped with new set, every combination of stick and slot were tried. No change
  • BIOS was updated. No change
  • Removed NVMe. No change (obviously only post time here)
  • Removed GPU and tried onboard. No change
  • Removed all USB/Ethernet. No change

I am at a loss so any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed?

Try working with two sticks of ram, slots A2 and B2, btw is that a 4x kit or a 2 boxes of 2x kits?

May 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Did you clear the CMOS after verifying your BIOS was successfully flashed?

Try working with two sticks of ram, slots A2 and B2, btw is that a 4x kit or a 2 boxes of 2x kits?
Thanks for the welcome!
Version 1656, yes CMOS was cleared.

Was 2 separate kits bought different days, second kit was bought to troubleshoot. All combinations were tried, 1, 2 and 4 sticks across all channels.

May 13, 2024
Replaced MB & RAM of same make/model? Yes

Tried single RAM stick (A2)? Dual sticks (A2, B2)? Yes, single stick. All slots were tried. Used different sticks. At least 10 different combinations.

Disable XMP, any OC (for testing)? Everything is set default.

Use Intel's official PL1/PL2 of 125W/241W? Not looked into power related yet.

Try any Fast Boot option(s) in BIOS? Default options, enabled and disabled have the same effect.

Test with spare PSU (of any wattage)? Next option.

Suggest using MC's 30-day return policy and get MB of different model or make. The glorious part of the situation, this is a secondary rig so I wasn't in a huge rush to build it. By the time I found the problem, the 30 days had passed. Hence why MB and CPU were replaced via warranty.

I will try and find a spare PSU to see what that brings.