New build, looking ahead for problems/compatibilty

budy86

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
Hi,
Im currently in the process of buying new parts, one at a time. Below are the items I plan on buying.

Case- Corsiar 900D super case :)
MB- ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA / Z87 / 4 x DDR3 / 3 x PCI-E3.0/2.0 x 16 / 10 x SATA3 / NGFF/ 8 x USB3.0 / H
CPU - i7 4770k
RAM - 16g Corsair dominator 2133
cooling - The Raystorm D5 Photon AX360 kit by XSPC (plan on looping cpu, mb and in time GPU)

What I already have in my current case im hoping to transfer over is

PSU - 1000w antec (a few years old but it is modular)
GPU - 2x 7950 in x-fire (until down the track ill change to nvidea)
HDD's - 120 Samsung SSD (I haven't been able to move OS to it yet)
512 Samsung SSD
1T Samsung 5000rpm

if I get all these, will be it a simple plug in and play so to speak. or am I going to have trouble with my hard drives? and OS? im thinking ill be buying a new OS anyway, unsure on win 7 or win 8 yet.

Any ideas would be great, this is my first real custom build with full water loop.

Thanks

budy86

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

If you like playing slightly older games, some may not work on windows 8.1. If you don't buy games through steam, and that worries you. Then get windows 7. I just chose 8.1 because I had very poor experiences with windows 7 (lots of bugs, freezing, crashing, etc.). Get whatever sounds fun to you. Either will do fine.

I find window 8 to be ugly , pointless app features, and loss of functionality / general feeling of lazy weird layout, confusing too. I know how the corners work now its just lame IMO. Search hardly does anything useful anymore.

Windows 7 is better and just as secure if u know how to manage a computer properly. Feels faster (except boot maybe. But on a ssd it boots in like 10 sec anyways ) . Much better if u ask me.

Only thing pushing people to windows 8 is software support and Microsoft development because they are trying to push new OS so hard they want us to graduate from windows 7 but most windows 7 owners won't want to until thyre forced too

O have windows 8.1, and I never see Metro. I never even use metro. It functions the same as windows 7 in every way.

except I see way more threads about buggy windows 8 causing problems, not so much with windows 7...just a personal preference. There is a reason people are NOT migrating to windows 8 like they did XP to Vista and Vista to windows 7 migration was HUGE, but windows 7 to windows 8? no one wants it. It was obviously designed with tablets in mind, and looks like crap on PC. IDC if metro can be ignored, I don't like useless features in my operating systems to start with.

I understand. I just had an awfully buggy expirience with windows 7 and windows 8.1 (NOT 8, 8.1 and 8 are VERY different. I hate windows 8) feels buttery to me.