[SOLVED] New Build Makes Windows 10 Freeze/BSOD

TheSwedishMrBlue

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Hello everyone.

So earlier today I got my new MOBO and Ryzen 7 2700X.

I installed every component, and went to install Windows 10 and everything went nice, but now it just wants to freeze up and sometimes BSOD with that Clock_Watchdog_Timeout error. Which is something related to the components I assume?

I can't update windows, I have less than 3 minutes to run windows before it freezes, sometimes it could just take a few seconds..

I've tried to select lower MHz on the RAM, even moved the voltages up to the stock voltage (which says on the RAM). I've tried many things but no success yet.

System>
MOBO: ASUS Strix B450-F.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X.
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB 3000MHz.
GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC.
STRGE: Samsung 860 SSD 250GB > WD Black Caviar 1TB.
PSU: Cooler Master GX 650W

According to "Compatibility tests" which I did before purchase, it didn't see anything bad with these components.

No idea what to do, I just needed more CPU power and ended up with a constant freezing PC sigh

Solution
Use latest Windows available. After I got a new GPU I had literally dozens of problems with windows, after installing W10 1906, they're all gone.

TheSwedishMrBlue

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
So no success yet. The temp goes up and down like a rollercoaster. Jumping from 29c to 45-50c when I'm on windows. When checking the temp in the bios it sits stable on 29-30c. Maybe I need to get the latest windows 10, download it on a USB drive and try it out? I have the old CD which is 1507 or something like that. Probably need latest.

TheSwedishMrBlue

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
Use latest Windows available. After I got a new GPU I had literally dozens of problems with windows, after installing W10 1906, they're all gone.
Interesting, so your windows also froze and was unresponsive? Hopefully the latest Windows will help with this issue, so it's not hardware related, I spent a lot of money on this setup now so I'm not hyped about throwing out more cash. Do you have the link to that Windows 10 program? I can't remember what it's called. And this program should get me the latest Windows I assume :)

AMD should definitely list their Ryzen series that their CPUs absolutely requires the latest Windows if this is the case.

cc83

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
It was even worse, my whole PC would freeze when I tried to start Shadow of Tomb Raider, monitor showed NO SIGNAL and I had to hard reset my PC. When I switched to newest version (1906) it's all gone. You can download Windows on official Microsoft page, download ISO using Media center and create a DVD and do a fresh install.

Reactions: TheSwedishMrBlue

TheSwedishMrBlue

Reputable
Mar 22, 2017
It was even worse, my whole PC would freeze when I tried to start Shadow of Tomb Raider, monitor showed NO SIGNAL and I had to hard reset my PC. When I switched to newest version (1906) it's all gone. You can download Windows on official Microsoft page, download ISO using Media center and create a DVD and do a fresh install.
After the installation of the latest Windows 10 (USB) I've been running my system for about 40 Minutes now, no issues yet. Now I'll plug in my HDD and see if I can get some games running and hope for the best (Fingers crossed).

TRENDING THREADS