[SOLVED] New Build May 2021

squatman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Hi there,

I currently have a gaming PC with the following:
i7-6700k GTX 1080 Ti

I don’t fully know when production of newer technologies or when 3000 series cards and other bits and bobs will become readily available so I’m a bit stuck on weather it is sensible to spend my money on current technology or keep waiting. My original plan was to build a high end gaming PC this year for PCIe 4.0 when the 3000 series became easily available and was hoping as per previous generations a 3080 Ti variant would be released that would last years.

That said we are where we are, I’ve looked online and watched tons of videos on if a 10900K, 11900K or 5950X is the better option. I think I’ve settled on a 5950X with an ASUS Dark Hero to accompany. Some of you might laugh at this next part, but I was maybe going to leave my 1080 Ti in for the time being to see if I can squeeze a few extra frames into Warzone, or get a used 2000 series to tie me over.

The Dark Hero and 5950X are an expensive investment, so I wanted your opinion on weather it’s a sensible purchase and if there is anything I should know about that why it might be a bad idea or if it’s a good idea.

Thank you in advance.

Solution
I wouldn't spend much on a new build with DDR5 right around the corner.
I personally dont see the need to delay a build specifically for DDR updates. Typically the newer update, DDR5 in this case, tends to be slower than moderately fast kits from the previous iteration of DDR. So for example my kit which is cl14 3600 DDR4 will most likely be faster than even the fastest DDR5 kits for a year or maybe even 2 years after DDR5 comes out. So you would be looking at almost 2 years from now, minimum, before DDR5 is faster than the faster DDR4 kits. Bu by that time second gen AM5 AMD CPUs will most likely be on the verge of coming out and that would be a more notable upgrade than initial builds with DDR5.

If you can spend 200-300 on a...

squatman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Why_me, thanks for your response.

Is this a definite, will it be right round the corner with the current production/supply issues or will the new technology be pushed back?

Also do you know when "round the corner is"?

For DDR5 does that require a CPU and Motherboard that isn't out yet?

Thank you.

Reactions: Why_Me
I wouldn't spend much on a new build with DDR5 right around the corner.
I personally dont see the need to delay a build specifically for DDR updates. Typically the newer update, DDR5 in this case, tends to be slower than moderately fast kits from the previous iteration of DDR. So for example my kit which is cl14 3600 DDR4 will most likely be faster than even the fastest DDR5 kits for a year or maybe even 2 years after DDR5 comes out. So you would be looking at almost 2 years from now, minimum, before DDR5 is faster than the faster DDR4 kits. Bu by that time second gen AM5 AMD CPUs will most likely be on the verge of coming out and that would be a more notable upgrade than initial builds with DDR5.

If you can spend 200-300 on a DDR4 cl14 or15 3600 kit now that would almost undoubtedly eclipse any DDR5 kit that initially come out. I guess it depend what you are willing to do, wait a year or two or spend a bit more now and not worry about it.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Is this a definite, will it be right round the corner with the current production/supply issues or will the new technology be pushed back?

Thank you.
DDR5 is not a game changer their always something new right around the corner.

The 5950x is a lot of processor for just gaming. Board a8nd processor over 1200 bucks for a gaming PC?

If you can spend 200-300 on a DDR4 cl14 or15 3600 kit now that would almost undoubtedly eclipse any DDR5 kit that initially come out. I guess it depend what you are willing to do, wait a year or two or spend a bit more now and not worry about it.
I wouldn't delay a new build, I just wouldn't sock a lot of money into one such as that cpu the OP has in mind. 5800X, 5600X or even a i5 11400F.

Thank you.
Intel's Alderlake w/DDR5 is due for release in November of this year with AMD's DDR5 platform due out sometime in 2022. With that said, I don't see it becoming mainstream for another two or three years.

Reactions: squatman

squatman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Helper, Zerk, Why_me thank you all for your responses, this is the kind of discussion I wanted to raise.

DDR5 is not a game changer their always something new right around the corner.

The 5950x is a lot of processor for just gaming. Board a8nd processor over 1200 bucks for a gaming PC?

Along with wanting to get the best FPS in games I could, I ended up leaning towards the 5950X over the i9-11900K or i9-10900K because I'd plan to use it for streaming also and perhaps recording/editing video. Also want it to last a few years.

The reason I settled on the ASUS Dark Hero is 1 - I like the BIOS, 2 - I read it was the only one to have an OC ability that adapts from single core clock to multi core clock if it's boost limit reached (apologies for the bad terminology), 3 - It had a heat sync rather than motherboard fan.

Thanks again.

Helper, Zerk, Why_me thank you all for your responses, this is the kind of discussion I wanted to raise.

Along with wanting to get the best FPS in games I could, I ended up leaning towards the 5950X over the i9-11900K or i9-10900K because I'd plan to use it for streaming also and perhaps recording/editing video. Also want it to last a few years.

The reason I settled on the ASUS Dark Hero is 1 - I like the BIOS, 2 - I read it was the only one to have an OC ability that adapts from single core clock to multi core clock if it's boost limit reached (apologies for the bad terminology), 3 - It had a heat sync rather than motherboard fan.

Thanks again.
Have you considered the 5900X? 12 cores w/24 threads for right around $700 atm.

squatman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2020
Have you considered the 5900X? 12 cores w/24 threads for right around $700 atm.

That's a very good point. I hadn't even considered it, but just watched a comparison and I could save 170 there... thank you very much for the suggestion. Wondering now if I should get a different motherboard now to save further... ahhh!

Thank you for your response again.