Question New build may have a major problem.

Dec 29, 2020
Hi,

I built my son a new pc for christmas.
5600x ryzen
asus tuf gaming b550m-plus (wifi)
Updated to 1401 bios
Corsair rm650w gold
Everything is running great since christmas day but im worried about the 5v rail showing as 10v in bios. Should i be.

ps. all components are brand new

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, certainly not normal.

I suggest independent measurement. Grab a multimeter and check the 5V rail and see what it is doing.

Could just be a bad sensor or poorly written software (Though odd it reports in the BIOS) Maybe a resistor or something has gone open near the sensor and has effectively doubled the readings.

Dec 29, 2020
Well, certainly not normal.

I suggest independent measurement. Grab a multimeter and check the 5V rail and see what it is doing.

Could just be a bad sensor or poorly written software (Though odd it reports in the BIOS) Maybe a resistor or something has gone open near the sensor and has effectively doubled the readings.
Thanks for the reply.
Ill try and get my hands on a multimeter.
Hoping its just the bios playing up as its new.
Do you think its safe to let him keep playing on it (its been getting a hammering since christmas) ?

DSzymborski

Polypheme
Software voltage readings are notoriously erroneous. I second the notion that if your +5V rail was actually delivering 10 volts, you'd defeinitely know it by now through catastrophic failure. Anything connected to a USB port would likely be dead now as would any mechanical hard drives you may have connected.

Dec 29, 2020
Software voltage readings are notoriously erroneous. I second the notion that if your +5V rail was actually delivering 10 volts, you'd defeinitely know it by now through catastrophic failure. Anything connected to a USB port would likely be dead now as would any mechanical hard drives you may have connected.
Thanks for the reply and giving me peace of mind.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS