[SOLVED] New build may have a major problem.

Dec 29, 2020
Hi,

I built my son a new pc for christmas.
5600x ryzen
asus tuf gaming b550m-plus (wifi)
Updated to 1401 bios
Corsair rm650w gold
Everything is running great since christmas day but im worried about the 5v rail showing as 10v in bios. Should i be.

ps. all components are brand new

Solution
Well, certainly not normal.

I suggest independent measurement. Grab a multimeter and check the 5V rail and see what it is doing.

Could just be a bad sensor or poorly written software (Though odd it reports in the BIOS) Maybe a resistor or something has gone open near the sensor and has effectively doubled the readings.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I suggest independent measurement. Grab a multimeter and check the 5V rail and see what it is doing.

Could just be a bad sensor or poorly written software (Though odd it reports in the BIOS) Maybe a resistor or something has gone open near the sensor and has effectively doubled the readings.

Solution
Dec 29, 2020

Thanks for the reply.
Ill try and get my hands on a multimeter.
Hoping its just the bios playing up as its new.
Do you think its safe to let him keep playing on it (its been getting a hammering since christmas) ?

DSzymborski

Titan
Software voltage readings are notoriously erroneous. I second the notion that if your +5V rail was actually delivering 10 volts, you'd defeinitely know it by now through catastrophic failure. Anything connected to a USB port would likely be dead now as would any mechanical hard drives you may have connected.

Dec 29, 2020
Software voltage readings are notoriously erroneous. I second the notion that if your +5V rail was actually delivering 10 volts, you'd defeinitely know it by now through catastrophic failure. Anything connected to a USB port would likely be dead now as would any mechanical hard drives you may have connected.
Thanks for the reply and giving me peace of mind.