Question New build - memory allocation overlay when opening games

kwokdog

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
I just built a new PC with a ROG Strix z490-e gaming,

after installing everything, I opened games and a small overlay would appear in the lower right corner when opening games, showing ram being allocated to the game (a small dial)

I have since uninstalled some bloatware, but I'm afraid I uninstalled whatever this was because I don't see the overlay anymore when opening games.

Does anyone know what this might have been?

Probably an OSD (On Screen Display) utility for your GPU. There's a bunch out there. It would really depend on your exact GPU as MSI for instance has a different one than say Gigabyte.

By the way the MSI afterburner with Rivatuner checkmarked is probably the best for this and overclocking. If you enable OSD. At least for nVidia GPU. It'll still do the OSD for AMD GPU but OC is limited.

kwokdog

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
Thanks for the response - this was my first build in a whiiiile. (took me a minute to figure out what XMP is!)

interesting. I brought an EVGA 1080 FTW2 along with me in the new build, but never saw this popup before! It looked like a nicely refined piece of software running in the background. not a big deal but curious if I deleted it along with some other uninstalls....

I installed all software that was provided to get the lay of the land:

1 - Are you saying I should delete all of the below and replace w/ MSI afterburner with Rivatuner?

ROG Strix AI Suite 3
ASUS Intel Extreme Tuning Utility
CPU-Z / GPU-Z / HW Monitor

2 - Assume I keep the following:
GE Force (drivers)
EVGA x1 Precision Tuning (1080 FTW2 RGB)
RamCache III

Thank you!!