Question New Build - Memory Issues...I think

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
I have been struggling with this for two days and I'm still not sure what the heck is going on. I either have a bad memory or a bad motherboard.

This is my build:
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA
Intel Core i9-13900K - Core i9 13th Gen Raptor Lake 24-Core (8P+16E)
2x - CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V Intel XMP Memory CMH32GX5M2B5200C40
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 15 Gbps GDRR6 192-Bit HDMI/DP
Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt, GOLD
Noctua NH-U12A, Premium CPU Cooler with High-Performance Quiet NF-A12x25 PWM Fans
CORSAIR 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX PC Case

I finally traced the problem of not booting, BSOD, and widows randomly closing to memory issues.

I tried two sticks at a time, both in A1-B1 and A2-B2, and the computer seems to be OK - using all four kills me.

Since ASUS provides AIDA64, I used that to benchmark the memory - two sticks at a time, in all four slots.

Here are the results: View: https://imgur.com/a/N25tHv9

Starting from the top: DRAMSet1 - A1-B1 slots, DRAM Set1 - A2-B2 slots, DRAM Set 2- A1-B1 slots, DRAM Set2 - A2-B2 slots.

Look at the "North Bridge Clock Clock" and Memory Type in each image.

In Set1 - North Bridge Clock goes from 800MHz to 1700MHz, Memory Type goes from DDR5-4000 to DDR5-4800
In Set 2- North Bridge clock stays steady at 4600Mhz, but Memory Type goes from DDR5-4000 to DDR5-4800 (same as set 1).

The BIOS is set to complete AUTO in every single thing.

So, to recap, any two sets work just fine, but if I put in all four sticks the system becomes unstable and sometimes will not even boot.

Do I have bad memory, or do I have a whacky motherboard?

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry guys, I can't figure out how to make all four images show up - if you link on the imgur link you can see all four. Never mind, I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

lord.patrick

Reputable
May 21, 2018
Here's something that I don't ever remember seeing before.

View: https://imgur.com/DXd9A9k

If you look closely, I have the RAM touching at the top but there is a gap at the bottom as if the edges were curved.

Here is another picture: View: https://imgur.com/F9wdF64

In this photo, they are touching in the middle and there are gaps at the top and bottom.

Is this normal in new memory kits?
The sticks are they same physically, you just have them lying in different directions.

Edit: I see you're talking about the curvature of the pin area. That's normal and helps with installing the DIMM into the slot without damage.

The problem you are probably having is not buying all 4 as a single kit. You may have to try lowering the RAM frequency down to 5000mhz.

I have been struggling with this for two days and I'm still not sure what the heck is going on. I either have a bad memory or a bad motherboard.

This is my build:
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA
Intel Core i9-13900K - Core i9 13th Gen Raptor Lake 24-Core (8P+16E)
2x - CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V Intel XMP Memory CMH32GX5M2B5200C40
MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 15 Gbps GDRR6 192-Bit HDMI/DP
Corsair RMx Series (2021), RM850x, 850 Watt, GOLD
Noctua NH-U12A, Premium CPU Cooler with High-Performance Quiet NF-A12x25 PWM Fans
CORSAIR 7000D AIRFLOW Full-Tower ATX PC Case

I finally traced the problem of not booting, BSOD, and widows randomly closing to memory issues.

I tried two sticks at a time, both in A1-B1 and A2-B2, and the computer seems to be OK - using all four kills me.

Since ASUS provides AIDA64, I used that to benchmark the memory - two sticks at a time, in all four slots.

Here are the results: View: https://imgur.com/a/N25tHv9

Starting from the top: DRAMSet1 - A1-B1 slots, DRAM Set1 - A2-B2 slots, DRAM Set 2- A1-B1 slots, DRAM Set2 - A2-B2 slots.

Look at the "North Bridge Clock Clock" and Memory Type in each image.

In Set1 - North Bridge Clock goes from 800MHz to 1700MHz, Memory Type goes from DDR5-4000 to DDR5-4800
In Set 2- North Bridge clock stays steady at 4600Mhz, but Memory Type goes from DDR5-4000 to DDR5-4800 (same as set 1).

The BIOS is set to complete AUTO in every single thing.

So, to recap, any two sets work just fine, but if I put in all four sticks the system becomes unstable and sometimes will not even boot.

Do I have bad memory, or do I have a whacky motherboard?

Anything you can do to help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry guys, I can't figure out how to make all four images show up - if you link on the imgur link you can see all four. Never mind, I'm an idiot.
That memory is NOT on that motherboard's QVL - https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-formula-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/
It looks like there's only a few G.Skill 2x32GB kits that have been tested with this board. You may be able to get them to work by increasing the voltage, but if you can return them for a refund I would do so and buy the 32GB sticks that are on the QVL.

You have mismatched ram.

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

You might be able to compensate by increasing the ram voltage in the motherboard bios above the 1.25v spec.