New build, mice (plural) won't work, but all other USB devices work fine

vashp20291

Commendable
Dec 4, 2016
Okay, so I just finished a new build and it was working fine for a few days, no issues whatsoever. Then, literally in the middle of a game of Watch Dogs 2, the mouse just stopped working (MX Master). I swapped out batteries, tried resetting the bluetooth connection, restarting etc, but nothing worked. I ended up plugging in a $5 plug-and-play wireless mouse and it worked... for a while. Same thing happened to that one. At this point, I can't use either of them, or a Logitech all-in-one keyboard/mouse combo. However, I have a steam controller, which seems to work fine as a trackpad, so I'm stuck using that temporarily.

Now, it gets weird because I thought maybe this was a driver issue, but when I boot into the bios for my Mobo (Asrock Z170m Extreme4) it won't read the mice. Again, the steam controller will work. I should mention I tried plugging the all the mice into different USB ports, both directly on the motherboard and through the case/usb hub. I also made sure to only have one plugged in at a time. Another thing that's strange is that literally every other USB device works fine, just mice have issues.

Finally, I booted into Windows and attempted to uninstall all Human Interface Devices from device manager in an attempt to get rid of any faulty drivers. However, it gets stuck on the uninstallation, it just says uninstalling and keeps buffering.

I have no idea where to begin with this issue, thanks for any advice!

Solution
1| When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature it's customary to include your full system's specs inclusive of your OS and peripherals. Can you please add them?
2| Have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?
3| I'm assuming that all your device drivers inclusive of chipset and USB were up to date when the issue cropped up?
4| Since we're dealing with a Logitech mouse, have you made sure your Logitech Options suite was to the latest version?
5| If you're on Windows 10, see if a repair install resolves the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
1| When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature it's customary to include your full system's specs inclusive of your OS and peripherals. Can you please add them?
2| Have you made sure your motherboard BIOS is up to date?
3| I'm assuming that all your device drivers inclusive of chipset and USB were up to date when the issue cropped up?
4| Since we're dealing with a Logitech mouse, have you made sure your Logitech Options suite was to the latest version?
5| If you're on Windows 10, see if a repair install resolves the issue.

Solution