Question New build mobo compatibility?

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Hi

If this is the wrong section I'm sorry and will delete/move.

I am currently about to start my second build, I have decided on a matx build in a thermaltake core v21

I have a question about the mobo

In pc part picker I am getting a compatibility issue with the psu and mobo,

Note:The Gigabyte Z390 M GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Here is the build

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/spfcdm

My question is will I be able to overclock the 9600k as I currently have it at 5.0ghz on a atx board with an coolermaster aio( I'm swapping my daughters with a 9100f)

Or is a different mobo needed to work as i already have the psu.

thanks for taking the time to have a look at my question.

If I've missed anything sorry ill update thread ASAP with needed info

Thanks for any advice.

(The 2080 I do not have and will not have i put it in as purely to try and get some idea on the power needed I may get a 3070 but the gpu is the last thing I will be getting once I can read up properly)

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking for an exact replacement for the board, I'd ask you to pick this one;
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...ga1151-motherboard-tuf-z390m-pro-gaming-wi-fi
has wifi bundled with the board.

On that note, no, you can forgo the additional 4pin EPS connector but you're advised to have the additional power in order to overclock.

You will need a better ram kit, more like a DDR4-3600MHz dual channel kit to get the best out of your platform, otherwise you're only overclocking the processor, which isn't much without overclocking the ram.

Are we able to fine tune your build? I'd have gone for a tower style matx build or even an mitx build, given the stuff you have in your parts list.

Adz90

Prominent
May 24, 2019
Thanks for the quick response, the case is kind of set ( unless there's something better in similar shape and size) as I've built a whole/entertainment center in the front room over lockdown to stop myself going nuts, cpu is also set aswill be stealing a changing it out of another system,

i will definitely look at that mobo I hadn't seen a tuf one while looking through Google top ones seemed to be the gigabyte, asrock and a msi, in matx.
The 9600k is currently at 5.0ghz on a aorus pro WiFi atx mobo and id like to keep at close to that speed on a matx if possible hence the noctua cooler, i took 1 look at the itx mounts and it scared me away from the size.

I was offered a asus maximus XI z390 atx and considered mounting all the components in the space directly to the wood itself and doing away with the case but have 1 build under my belt and no experience with that kind of stuff,

And I will also look at faster ram speeds id read that it didn't affect intel asmuch. id always thought whys faster not always better regardless myself but went with what id read on first build.

I would be happy to look at any tweaks and recommendations, this is still only my second build first went well, so thought I'd get myself a new toy,

I have a 2.5 inch gap on all sides to work with around the thermaltake case dimensions but I doubt this opens a whole new world in terms of case choice once airflow taken in to account

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS