new build monitor no signal

tgreen8

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm new to toms hardware and not a complete noob when it comes to building computers but I will admit very amateur at best.

My problem: upon turning on the computer for the first time I cannot get a signal to my monitor. HDMI plugged into the mobo, the monitors light will flick blue and take a second as if it wants to work but then just gives me a blue screen saying "no signal" and do that over and over.

So this build consists of a new CPU, CPU cooler, case, mobo, memory and, while perhaps not really relevant to my problem, a new HDD.
And mostly new graphics card, PSU and SSD. The only old component is my monitor.

Specs:
Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme 3 atx
CPU: Intel i5 4460 3.2ghz
Cooler: h105 corsair
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
RAM: HyperX Fury 1866mhz 2x4gb (8gb)
Gfx: Gigabyte r7 260x 2Gb OC edition
SSD: Intel 120GB 530 series
HDDs: 1tb western digital blue 7200rpm + 1tb Seagate 7200rpm
PSU: Thermaltake litepower 700w atx

Things I have tried: reseating ram, trying a different HDMI cord, connecting HDMI to graphics card.

I should say that upon fitting the h105 it is a very very fit tight. As most people fitting a h100 or h105 in a nzxt phantom case I have fitted the radiator to the roof of the case and the fans (pulling to exhaust air out of the top) atop the case, long screws going down through the radiator and holding it all in place. The underside of the radiator is in fact pressing down on the plastic casing of the 8 pin header for cpu power. I even had to snip the plastic clips on top of each of the CPU power plugs as the radiator comes down too far and literally blocks off the catch for the clips.

fans top
radiator
build

The plugs do fit snugly and securely into the ports but they are at a slight angle due to the radiators intrusive presence.

I have yet to pull everything apart and reseat the whole lot as I kind of really dont want to, only to find the same issue is happening.

So I guess my question is: Is what I mentioned about the radiator bearing down on the CPU power header a very possible issue ? Or is there some discrepancy in the compatibility of parts in my build?

I reeeeally appreciate any help. Im trying to be cool and calm about getting this rig working :)
Thankyou!

K-Hype

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
Check to see if your ram is dead, check to see if motherboard socket pins are bent or chipped off, reseat cpu cooler, see if monitor is broken, and check if everything is plugged in correctly. These my my suggestions since I have encounter a no signal to monitor as well when I build my first PC.

tgreen8

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Hey man yeah thanks for the suggestions. I will do some more extensive diagnostics tomorrow based off the no boot/no video guide stickied .

I guess this kind of post is tired and nobody really wants to hear it any more but I will report back after some troubleshooting.