Feb 28, 2016
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming plus max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.4 Ghz
Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Memory: Corsair Vengence LPX 3200Mhz DDR4
NVMe M.2 Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD 50GB
SEagate Baracudda 3.5 2TB hard drive
2x working SSD's from old PPSU: Seasonic Focus GX 750

QUESTION is this a bad board, and/or could XMP on it be causing crashes??

It appears with XMP turned on windows starts to load freezes, crashes then starts to load again over and over. Turned off there does not appear to be an issue (though there was some weird stuff) I read this board has issues with XMP in 2x posts i found via google. Is it a faulty board, a faulty bios, or is it an issue with this board full stop and I should get a different motherboard. Or should I just turn off and ignore XMP and will the board be okay and over clockable still?

LONG WINDED VERSION:
Built and ran okay at first. However ram defaulted to 2133mhz and 1.2V. Manually entered the correct latencies and ram from a drop down options list and it was working fine at 3200Mhz and voltage 1.32. Transferred to my sons house all of a sudden windows loads, gets about 30 seconds in freezes, crashes starts to load again, rinse and repeat but then its windows repair that's trying to load and freezing and restarting as though its shorting. I think but not sure he'd turned on XPM at this point. - entering BIOS and its perfectly stable seems to be working fine.

Returned to me. Checked all connectors and the problem continued. Noted in bios the memory is now running at 2133Mhz with a voltage of 1.38V, even though the latencies I manually loaded are present. I struggled to understand the voltage but manually entered the latencies for the ram and problem continued. (again unsure at this point if XMP was off or on, I would have swore off, but my son believes it was on). I then Removed one memory stick and the M.2 SSD and then the PC froze on load up and CPU error light was locked on.

Now it got weird. I Swapped ram, left the case on its side and it worked fine. Tried swapping back to double check with the previous ram and it worked fine again? Using both sticks of ram also now had no issues and worked fine, windows loading without an issue. Whilst on its side. Stood it up the issues with cycling windows unable to load returned. Again checked all connectors, and reseated the graphics card. This time in BIOS XMP was definitely on and I turned it off, (My son may or may not have turned it on messing with it) manually set the memory is a drop down option again. Everything was working fine windows loading no issues. Ran memtest84 no memory issues at all. Stable for internet browsing, and youtube.

MY son took it home, turned on XMP and the windows issue came back again. The blessed google search found multiple varied issues with the board but not necessarily my issues. I did find two posts about the board that stated it crashed when XMP was turned on. One was advised to manually set his memory with XMP turned off and never reposted so I assume this fixed it. The other swapped his motherboard and this fixed it.

MY sons worried its a memory issue, but with XMP off it passed the memorytest84, so I assume that is fine. IS this okay to run this set up as it is, just don't overclock it or run XMP, without potential further motherboard problems? Or will it likely have further issues as this bit appears buggered? - ... but he wants also the overclock option as its for gaming. Is it a bad board, swap like for like, or should I send it back and get a different motherboard. Or finally have I missed something else????

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Predestined

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Bios Version: E7B86AMS.H50 with Build Date: 11/07/2019

Also since then, Ran Furmark test and OCCT both for 20mins and had no instabilities or issues while ram wasn't set higher than base values. As well as this setting the timings and voltage of DRAM manually didn't change stability at all along with changing DRAM voltage higher at 1.42 heading no other responses. At a loss here but assuming faulty mobo or RAM?

Another Update:
Although I had the second latest BIOS, Flashed to the latest version and a second XMP profile became available of which appears to run stably. However Is this motherboard likely to bite me in the ass for keeping it or would it be better off replacing?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS