[SOLVED] New Build (MSI H410M Pro E) won't detect my GTX 750Ti (GPU fans spin though)

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
I just built a new PC with the below configuration.

Processor: i5 10400
Mobo: MSI H410M Pro E (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/H410M-PRO-E/Specification)
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 8GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 550 Bronze V2
SSD: Kingston 250GB

I had an old MSI variant of the GTX 750Ti that I thought of reusing for the time being
(Exact Model: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00I5ZYI5A...abc_XVB9SC0C70M1E6XHAKAZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 )

However, the graphics card does not get detected on the board. I tried "board explorer" in BIOS. It shows the slot as "empty" even though the card is plugged in and the fans are running.

So far I have done the following

1. Removed and re-inserted the card
  2. Upgraded the BIOS
  3. Updated all drivers.

I also tried installing the specific driver and utility of GTX 750Ti, however, the setup does not proceed saying "No compatible device detected"

I always thought graphic cards and boards would play well as long as they both support the same PCI-E gen. Is there something I am missing here.

Solution
The 750 ti supports UEFI bios mode as long as the motherboard does. No problems there.
Does you BIOS have Secure boot enabled?
Also Fast Boot is also another option that should be disabled in bios.
Both can stop the bios from initializing the card during boot.

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
Do you have the monitor plugged into the back of the graphics card.
It sounds like you have it attached to the motherboard ports instead.

Yes I've attached it to the graphics card. There is no video output.

Even if I hadn't, it should have at least appeared in BIOS right? BIOS acts like the card doesn't even exist, eve, though the fans of the card are running

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017
I think the card is a legacy card, and your bios default is likely UEFI.
See if the motherboard bios has an option to support legacy cards.
It might be called CSM(Compatibility Support Module)

I found and enabled CSM option. The default as you mentioned was UEFI. However, upon enabling I got a msg saying "There is no vbios support detected in this card". It then automatically reset it back to UEFI.

The 750 ti supports UEFI bios mode as long as the motherboard does. No problems there.

Solution

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017

Wow, I can not thank you enough! Fast Boot was enabled and turned out to be the culprit.
Disabled it, and the graphics card gets detected. I am yet to install the drivers, but the main area of concern is finally resolved.

Thanks again, really appreciate you and others on the forum for taking the time to help me out!

Reactions: Why_Me

TDsouza007

Reputable
Aug 5, 2017

Ok, a weird thing happened last night. The problem reoccurred, this time even with fast boot disabled. It worked fine the day before that. I shut it down, restarted the next day and again the graphics card won't get detected.

I've tried every setting I could think of in BIOS
  1. Enabled and then disabled fast boot
  2. There was a separate "MSI Fast boot" tried enabling/disabling that too
  3. Checked if secure boot got enabled somehow
  4. Restored everything to default and checked. Later disabled fast boot again
  5. Enabled/Disabled CSM
  6. Set preferred graphics to IGD and then back to PEG

A really confused as I did not change a thing. It worked fine one day, and not the next.