[SOLVED] New build....need brand advice?

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
This is sort of a new build AND upgrade in one. I am upgrading my current PC with a new CPU/MOBO/GPU/HDD. I will be using the old parts and some new ones for the remaining bits to build a PC for my kids.

I know what I want/need specs wise, and I've pretty much got things narrowed down, the only thing I'm really struggling with is brand choice.

This is going to be my 9th PC in the last 28 or so years, of those it will be my 6th custom build, the 4th completely done by me...all this too say I've been around and used a lot of parts, and I just can't decide what to do on this one for the GPU/MOBO.

It's down to MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus. Those all offer things I like, they haven't given me so many issues I'm willing to give up on them yet (looking at you EVGA), and they are the most readily available in Canada (around me anyway).

I have done 2 builds using all Asus before and they worked flawlessly. Everything was good from day one, bios updates were smooth, no dead parts. To be honest I would LOVE to go back with Asus, but then there's the cost....

I have zero experience with MSI with the exception of a laptop that I promptly returned due to noise/heat issues. I've heard good things but....yeah....

My last build was a Gigabyte Aorus board and Aorus GPU...TONS of issues with the board. RMA'd twice, still only started having zero issues after about 1.5 years of bios updates that were mostly garbage. GPU has been fantastic though. Aorus seems to offer the best bang for the buck of the 3 and the longest warranty (though their service is lacking).

I'm grabbing a Ryzen 3700x. X570 MOBO's I'm considering are:

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi
Asus Strix E Gaming

All have similar specs, Asus costs significantly more, other 2 about equal.

For the GPU I'm looking at a 2070 Super...there's the Aorus, MSI Gaming X Trio, or some version of Asus Strix. I don't think the boost clock matters too much because they should all OC pretty nicely I think. Again the Asus is more expensive, the other 2 about equal.

Is there anything that tips the balance here? Asus would be my number 1 choice at this point, but it's so darn expensive. That makes me think MSI because they offer what I want at a better price. Then with Gigabyte, they offer a bit better specs and an extra year of warranty compared to MSI at a similar price point, but then there's the aforementioned issues with my last board that makes me want to run from them.

Someone please just away me so I can go give someone my money lol.

Solution
If you are going for a b450 msi ( i know you said msi =problems but) they have bios flash back if needed the only asus mobo that has it is the x470 crosshairs with there again the price of low to mid tier x570's.

I run the rog strix x470 f gaming
And ran into a issue where bios flash back would have helped alot.
On this board i lost boost performance and my ram oc (which i still can't it back)from just updating the bios i was on 4602 and updated fo the 5204 which is what ez flash in bios using the lan went right straight to.
No options other then to cancel i choose not to cancel in fear i had already gone to far.

Somewhere after the 4602 update the bios updates turned more for the 3000 series leaving the 2000 series cpu's to suffer...
Gigabyte really upp'd their game with first the Z390 now the X570 chipset. Asus is kinda... bad with their bios policy.

when it's between those 3 boards - the strix is the best of those but probably not worth it. the Aorus Pro is a nice board. running one myself. the stock bios is awful but once updated it's a very nice board.

the MSI Gaming X Trio is a nice quiet card. haven't heard too much about the Aorus tbh.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Gigabyte really upp'd their game with first the Z390 now the X570 chipset. Asus is kinda... bad with their bios policy.

when it's between those 3 boards - the strix is the best of those but probably not worth it. the Aorus Pro is a nice board. running one myself. the stock bios is awful but once updated it's a very nice board.

the MSI Gaming X Trio is a nice quiet card. haven't heard too much about the Aorus tbh.

Hmmm, good to know. The one I have now is the Aorus x370 Gaming K7. I will say they post bios updates fairly regularly, but most of them were terrible. Their bundled software sucks too. It seems super stable now though. RMA was due to bad audio ports the first time and bad lighting the second (couple non functional LED's), so nothing MAJOR, but annoying with a brand new board. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt though given it was a new platform; there was bound to be some kinks.

Sad to hear about Asus. I loved their stuff but I have read they've gone a bit south. Last setup I had from them was Z77 and a GTX 680 so it's been a bit.

yeah Gigabyte and the X370/B350 was terrible^^

wasn't really satisfied with my old Z170 board as well. but it seems someone at Gigabyte realized that they can monetize on good products - who would have known.

Asus is not bad, but it seems with the current gen Ryzens they got other things on their mind.
but tbh imho Asus puts way too much into marketing and way too little into innoavtion and quality control. and the Asus tax with their products is just ridiculous. why would I pay 10% extra for an Asus board when they do not differ from their competitors?

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
yeah Gigabyte and the X370/B350 was terrible^^

wasn't really satisfied with my old Z170 board as well. but it seems someone at Gigabyte realized that they can monetize on good products - who would have known.

Asus is not bad, but it seems with the current gen Ryzens they got other things on their mind.
but tbh imho Asus puts way too much into marketing and way too little into innoavtion and quality control. and the Asus tax with their products is just ridiculous. why would I pay 10% extra for an Asus board when they do not differ from their competitors?

Ya that's the kicker with Asus...as much as I love them, these boards are virtually identical and the Asus is like 25% higher cost. NOPE lol The GPU is an easy 10 as well...adds up.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I think I'm going to just give MSI a go. I was looking at reviews of the Gigabyte board and a lot of the issues I had with my last one seem to be cropping up. Might be better, you mostly only see the bad on reviews, but I'd like to try something new I think and see how I like it. Plus MSI has a service centre in Canada which is nice, and the Aorus GPU is no where to be found up here while MSI keeps steady stock everywhere.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Just thought I would update...I picked up a 3700x and the MSI board. Just for the heck of it I popped the 3700x into my x370 first and wouldn't ya know aside from a bit up a hiccup with the memory it has worked flawlessly...props to Gigabyte there. The memory likes to clock down once in awhile and I have to reload the xmp profile, but I'm sure this will be fixed with a bios update.

I returned the x570. Still need another board for my kids build, but seeing as they're getting my old 1600x I'll probably just grab them a b450.

If you are going for a b450 msi ( i know you said msi =problems but) they have bios flash back if needed the only asus mobo that has it is the x470 crosshairs with there again the price of low to mid tier x570's.

On this board i lost boost performance and my ram oc (which i still can't it back)from just updating the bios i was on 4602 and updated fo the 5204 which is what ez flash in bios using the lan went right straight to.
No options other then to cancel i choose not to cancel in fear i had already gone to far.

Somewhere after the 4602 update the bios updates turned more for the 3000 series leaving the 2000 series cpu's to suffer.
From asus tech support i was told i could Not downgrade the bios even if i sent it back to them.
Was also told that Amazon has mobo's that have the older bios's how old he couldn't say and calling Amazon for more info then back with asus tech support there was no way of knowing what bios you would get till delivery.

So with that my next board MAY be a Msi b450 pro carbon when i go to a 3000 series and put my 2600x on the b450 for my son.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Solution

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017

Somewhere after the 4602 update the bios updates turned more for the 3000 series leaving the 2000 series cpu's to suffer.
From asus tech support i was told i could Not downgrade the bios even if i sent it back to them.
Was also told that Amazon has mobo's that have the older bios's how old he couldn't say and calling Amazon for more info then back with asus tech support there was no way of knowing what bios you would get till delivery.

So with that my next board MAY be a Msi b450 pro carbon when i go to a 3000 series and put my 2600x on the b450 for my son.

Good Luck

Man thats terrible...they dont allow you to roll back the bios? That seems odd. You cant download it and install it in the bios? Been awhile since Ive used an Asus,,,,

I was actually considering the b450 pro carbon myself...think I might take it though and give the kids the x370. Not sure....but it looks like a great board.

Have you ever heard of Buildzoid?
You can look him up on youtube he is a very good authority on mobo's check his videos out.
He has vids on each brand for the x570's
1 of the asus boards he has mentioned that is pretty good for its price among the competitors is the asus Tuf x570 for around the 200.00 range.

There is a msi x470 gaming m7 ac with flashback but i haven't been able to find it anywhere.
It has better vrm's then the b450.
But in the mean time of waiting hopefully Amd and board manufacturers can get things settled down.
Good Luck and
Have A Great Weekend !!!!!!!!!