New build. Need Help. GTX 970

Chuck Titan

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Hey, building my first Gaming rig and I have decided to use the Gtx 970, I'm not sure on CPU but I want it to be Intel. i5 or i7, or Something that can get the most potential out of my components. I'm going to have a 1 Tb Hdd a Sdd and 8gb of ram (which I need help on) (Also I'm not sure if I should SLI the 970 or not) my budget is around £800

1. Is a Gtx 970 Sli needed to use 3 monitors.
2. Is 3 monitors worth it, or are they really needed.
3. Can a single 970 handle 3 monitors. 1920x1080
4.What is the cheapest motherboard that can use SLI if I wanted to use a Second 970 in the future or now.
5. Which PSU wattage would be right for this. Thanks in advance.

Solution

For CPU go for i5 4690K and a Z97 motherboard. GTX 970 SLI will give you better performance than a single 8GB 970.If you go for single 4GB you have to wait until you get the second one to get the 3 monitors running, if you decide to go for the 8 GB version then you can use 3 monitors right away, So it depends on you but in both cases you have to wait.

Thaisnang

Honorable
This is the cheapest Z97 motherboard that can SLI as far as I know-->http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4957#ov
Yes, 970 SLI is needed currently as it has only 4 GB which won't be enough to run games on all three monitors. However the 8 GB versions are coming out. So that should be able to handle 3 monitors.
Are they needed? No, not necessarily you can also get a good gaming experience from one good monitor.
For 970 SLI a good 650W PSU is enough however, I'll recommend 750W.

Chuck Titan

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
So should I wait for the 8gb, or just use the single and sli In the future. Also what would you recommend for a cpu as I have no idea where to start. Looking for something which is powerful quick, high i5 or i7. I'm just going to be gaming and multitasking. And is any ram fine for this PC. Or is a certain brand a good choice? Cheers

Thaisnang

Honorable

For CPU go for i5 4690K and a Z97 motherboard. GTX 970 SLI will give you better performance than a single 8GB 970.If you go for single 4GB you have to wait until you get the second one to get the 3 monitors running, if you decide to go for the 8 GB version then you can use 3 monitors right away, So it depends on you but in both cases you have to wait.

Solution