Question New Build, New Problem, Help!

May 7, 2023
So I built a new system, got everything installed and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 Home. Everything seemed fine until I got to the desktop and noticed no internet, I had an ethernet cable plugged in but I didn't worry, I assumed it was just drivers missing. I grabbed drivers off my laptop and used a USB key to transfer and tried running the setup for them. This is where I am stumped, it says they aren't compatible with the version of Windows, but it's fresh install of Windows 10 off a Microsoft USB stick that I bought a couple years ago. So no internet, nothing will run, no drivers can be installed, not even chipset, same error and even tried upgrading my windows but that won't run either. After a few restarts it stops booting into Windows and the only way to do anything is to reformat and reinstall Windows again.

I talked to ASUS and asked what was wrong since it was a RoG MOBO and they told me the board is defective and I need to RMA it. So I did, got a brand new gigabyte board and the same exact issue is happening. The thing is, I don't even know what can cause this, it has to be hardware since a fresh install of 10 and everything is showing up in the BIOS, I know if I can POST and enter BIOS it's likely a software error but I can't even boot into a new ISO using the media creation tool on a new stick, the Aorus logo pops up and it gets all stretched and weird looking and then the system eventually crashes.

I can't be the only person who has had this problem, any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

May 7, 2023
PC Specifications

CPU: Core i5 13600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-15
RAM: 32 Gb 2 sticks of 16, 5600hz Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Ultra
Graphics card: Onboard
Storage devices: 2TB WD m.2 SN850x
Power supply: Corsair RM 850
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow

Last edited:
I assume you mean this? There is still some missing information in parentheses:

Storage devices: 2TB WD m.2 (What drive exactly?)
Power supply: Corsair 850 (What is the exact model?)

May 7, 2023
I assume you mean this? There is still some missing information in parentheses:

Storage devices: 2TB WD m.2 SN85

So I built a new system, got everything installed and installed a fresh version of Windows 10 Home. Everything seemed fine until I got to the desktop and noticed no internet, I had an ethernet cable plugged in but I didn't worry, I assumed it was just drivers missing. I grabbed drivers off my laptop and used a USB key to transfer and tried running the setup for them. This is where I am stumped, it says they aren't compatible with the version of Windows, but it's fresh install of Windows 10 off a Microsoft USB stick that I bought a couple years ago. So no internet, nothing will run, no drivers can be installed, not even chipset, same error and even tried upgrading my windows but that won't run either. After a few restarts it stops booting into Windows and the only way to do anything is to reformat and reinstall Windows again.

I talked to ASUS and asked what was wrong since it was a RoG MOBO and they told me the board is defective and I need to RMA it. So I did, got a brand new gigabyte board and the same exact issue is happening. The thing is, I don't even know what can cause this, it has to be hardware since a fresh install of 10 and everything is showing up in the BIOS, I know if I can POST and enter BIOS it's likely a software error but I can't even boot into a new ISO using the media creation tool on a new stick, the Aorus logo pops up and it gets all stretched and weird looking and then the system eventually crashes.

I can't be the only person who has had this problem, any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
The Microsoft USB stick that you bought a couple of years ago likely has a version of Windows that is a couple of years old.
1. Follow these instructions to do the fresh (and latest) Windows 10 installation. This method ensures you get the latest copy of Windows on the installation media (USB stick). Use it to install Windows 10.
2. You "grabbed drivers off my laptop". Does this mean you used your laptop to go to your motherboard's support site( there are many Aorus Z690 motherboards, make sure you went to the correct one), selected drivers for Windows 10, and downloaded them to your laptop, and then copied them to a USB stick? If so, try to install those drivers now. It may work now that you have the latest copy of Windows 10 installed.

Reactions: helper800
Copy and paste the following into your original post as an edit:
PC Specifications

Storage devices: 2TB WD m.2 SN850x

May 7, 2023
The Microsoft USB stick that you bought a couple of years ago likely has a version of Windows that is a couple of years old.
1. Follow these instructions to do the fresh (and latest) Windows 10 installation. This method ensures you get the latest copy of Windows on the installation media (USB stick). Use it to install Windows 10.
2. You "grabbed drivers off my laptop". Does this mean you used your laptop to go to your motherboard's support site( there are many Aorus Z690 motherboards, make sure you went to the correct one), selected drivers for Windows 10, and downloaded them to your laptop, and then copied them to a USB stick? If so, try to install those drivers now. It may work now that you have the latest copy of Windows 10 installed.
I did this. I used the correct drivers and I even tried using a new USB with the media creation tool and this did not fix anything. Same issues, compatibility issues.

May 7, 2023
I did this. I used the correct drivers and I even tried using a new USB with the media creation tool and this did not fix anything. Same issues, compatibility issues.
It won't let me install the latest version of windows. It won't let me run the media creation, it just gives me the same error about compatibility.

It won't let me install the latest version of windows. It won't let me run the media creation, it just gives me the same error about compatibility.

I did try the media creation tool but it won't boot. It just sticks at a light blue screen the crashes.
You probably need to run the media creation tool on another PC. After that you can use the USB you created with the tool on the new PC to install Windows.

You need to read these instructions in full and then follow them.

The media creation tool is an application that you first download to your computer(in your case, your laptop), and then run, to create a bootable Windows installation USB thumb drive. You then take the USB thumb drive and plug it into the computer you wish to do a fresh (up to date) Windows installation on, and boot from it, which will ask a few questions and then, install Windows. It is all explained quite well in those instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
May 7, 2023
You need to read these instructions in full and then follow them.

The media creation tool is an application that you first download to your computer(in your case, your laptop), and then run, to create a bootable Windows installation USB thumb drive. You then take the USB thumb drive and plug it into the computer you wish to do a fresh (up to date) Windows installation on, and boot from it, which will ask a few questions and then, install Windows. It is all explained quite well in those instructions.
Yes. But it won't boot from it. If you read my previous posts it hangs and will not boot from the NEW media creation usb. Only boots from the old windows 10 one. It's pretty easy to understand.