[SOLVED] New Build, no boot - RAM lights up until Power button is pressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
Just put together a new system but I've never seen this kind of no boot behaviour before.

When the PSU-Wall cable is plugged in, the RAM lights up after like 3 seconds.

However, it turns off immediately when I press the power button on the case. No fans spin, nothing posts, no activity whatsoever besides the RAM LEDs turning off. Pressing/long holding the power button also does nothing from here on.

And the RAM LEDs will never turn back on on their own, I have to disconnect and re-connect the PSU-Wall cable for it to happen again.

I've triple checked that all wiring is in the correct place and secured.

Has anyone seen issues like this before?

Parts:
AMD R5 1600
Gigabyte Aorus B450 I
Nvidia/Asus Phoenix 3060
Kingston FURY Beast 16Gx2 3200MHz RGB KF432C16BB1AK2/32
FSP FX500G 500W PSU

Last edited:
Solution
You need to clear CMOS to get Bios back to default when RAM_LED lights up.
Max support is 2667Mhz for AMD R5 1600 so 3200Mhz maybe to much for the Memory Controller.
Suggest you test with a kit at 2666Mhz that is supported by your CPU or try lowering the Dram frequency.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Just put together a new system but I've never seen this kind of no boot behaviour before.

When the PSU-Wall cable is plugged in, the RAM lights up after like 3 seconds.

However, it turns off immediately when I press the power button on the case. No fans spin, nothing posts, no activity whatsoever besides the RAM LEDs turning off. Pressing/long holding the power button also does nothing from here on.

And the RAM LEDs will never turn back on on their own, I have to disconnect and re-connect the PSU-Wall cable for it to happen again.

I've triple checked that all wiring is in the correct place and secured.

Has anyone seen issues like this before?
You need to list all the parts used as we have no clue what your using.

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
By the sound of it, I'd start with the PSU. Either something with the cabling or the unit itself. If it doesn't even turn on or does anything it's most likely a short somewhere or a component fault. It's the easiest to test of the possibilities, can you get another PSU to test?

Max support is 2667Mhz for AMD R5 1600 so 3200Mhz maybe to much for the Memory Controller.
Suggest you test with a kit at 2666Mhz that is supported by your CPU or try lowering the Dram frequency.

Solution

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012
By the sound of it, I'd start with the PSU. Either something with the cabling or the unit itself. If it doesn't even turn on or does anything it's most likely a short somewhere or a component fault. It's the easiest to test of the possibilities, can you get another PSU to test?

Going to borrow a friend's PSU to test, and update back :)

Don't think this is it... 1. I haven't even booted into bios once to enable "XMP", so it should still be running at a very low JDEC frequency, 2. this CPU has stably supported 4x 8GB non-B/E-die RAM at 3333MHz/17-18-18-19 before (on an x370 board, not that it matters) so the memory controller should be plenty capable.

Firedrops

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2012

You were right, it's the PSU. Booted up just fine borrowing a friend's ATX psu, everything still in the case so probably not a short.

Solved. Thanks, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.