[SOLVED] New build no debug led and black screen

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Help please.

So I just updated part of my system to an asrock x470 taichi paired with a ryzen 5 3600 and 16 corsair ram ddr4 3000 mhz.

The power supply is a old but works or at least it did earlier that day. It is a corsair gold 750 w. My GPU is an asus 970

I have unplugged the ram. I have unplugged the ssds. I am not entirely sure if the motherboard supports the new ryzen. I am getting mixed reviews when I read other forums.

Everything turns on. The fans move. The lights on the board light up. However the cpu fan does not spin and there is no post code in the dr. debug.

Any thoughts...

Solution
Ok this may be a dumb question but I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities my Mobo has an eight pin connector for power and a four pin right next to it. The power supply I use has two four pins that I usually plug into the eight pin connector.
For this Mobo do I need an eight pin and an additional four pin for enough power? Meaning do I need another four pin connector from my psu to plug into that other four pin hole even though I’ve plugged into the eight pin

maybe my psu is just too old. It is around 8 years old.
Page 35 of your motherboard manual has instructions for the ATX 12V Power Connectors. If you only have two 4-pin 12v ATX power connectors you should be able to plug one into the right side of the 8-pin...

mtracy1991

Reputable
Can I still use the cpu I have in there to do that or do I need an older cpu to update the bios and which one do I choose out of that list?

My older cpu is an intel, so I do not have an older cpu, if that is the case.

Sorry if that is a simplistic question, but I am not sure...
If you're able to get into the BIOS, then update them. There needs to be an update in BIOS before the system can utilize the Ryzen 3600.

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
As long as you perform the BIOS update, keep the Ryzen one connected. The X470 needs a BIOS update in order for the Ryzen and X470 can be compatible. So perform the BIOS update.
Here is a link: https://www.wepc.com/tips/bios-update-for-new-ryzen-3000-chips-x470-b450/

Thank you for your help. I will try to download it onto a flash drive and load it that way.

As of right now, I cannot get into my bios. My screen is black. Hopefully the flash drive will work.

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
So this is what the computer does. It will turn on fans and all the lights for a couple seconds and then turn off and start up again and will keep doing this in a never ending cycle.

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Verify all of your connections please
I’ll go through all my connections again tonight. Also, I ordered ram that is 3200 MHz rather than 3000. I believe my Ryzen 3600 runs with the 3200 not the 3000. However I did try to boot earlier with the ram out and it did the same black screen reboot thing. Thanks again for your help. I’ll update later tonight or tomorrow

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Verify all of your connections please

Ok this may be a dumb question but I am just trying to eliminate all possibilities my Mobo has an eight pin connector for power and a four pin right next to it. The power supply I use has two four pins that I usually plug into the eight pin connector.
For this Mobo do I need an eight pin and an additional four pin for enough power? Meaning do I need another four pin connector from my psu to plug into that other four pin hole even though I’ve plugged into the eight pin

Page 35 of your motherboard manual has instructions for the ATX 12V Power Connectors. If you only have two 4-pin 12v ATX power connectors you should be able to plug one into the right side of the 8-pin connector and the other into the 4-pin connector per the manual.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X470 Taichi.pdf

Solution

jblorenz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Page 35 of your motherboard manual has instructions for the ATX 12V Power Connectors. If you only have two 4-pin 12v ATX power connectors you should be able to plug one into the right side of the 8-pin connector and the other into the 4-pin connector per the manual.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/X470 Taichi.pdf

yes, I did try that earlier after seeing it in the manual. It’s like the cpu fan wants to spin but never does.

I’m thinking it just maybe a bad Mobo at this point. It is too bad because I got that Taichi for a great deal.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS