Question New build ---- no display on monitor & no power to keyboard or mouse ?

Jul 20, 2022
Hello all.

A couple of days ago I built my first PC. When I try to open run it, the PC will start but it shows no display on the monitor & after some re-attempts, it seems that the keyboard & mouse also get no power when the PC starts running. Although, fans of CPU, GPU, etc... & motherboard LED lights, seem to work normally.

After many attempts of disconnecting/ reconnecting the hardware, for some reason when I reconnected the ram for the 1000th time (to the same ports, recommended by the motherboard manual) the PC did start normally ( display on the monitor & everything was operating normally). I installed Windows 10 & then I turned off the PC to install an extra HDD. When I tried to open run my PC again, I had (and still have) the same exact story. No display on the monitor, keyboard & mouse not working.

Also, my motherboard has PSC (Post Status Checker) and it also indicates a dysfunctionality in dram. When the PC started normally PSC didn't show any dysfunctionality.

Some extra notes:
  1. My monitor worked fine in my old system & I also tried a 2nd one that I know works fine & still nothing changed (and change of cables).
  2. The monitor cable IS connected to the GPU port & not the motherboards.
  3. I'm sure the ram sticks were installed properly every time.
  4. I'm sure the monitor IS on & not turned off.
Any help/ advice is highly wanted & appreciated.:giggle:

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Did you even do a bare minimum post ? Aka MB on a rubber mat, PSU, CPU, GPU & RAM only post test.
Unstable or resetting post may point to a bad CMOS battery. But may also be bad Ram config..
Go to bare minimum and if you do post, run memtestx64 (not in multi-core mode false errors) & run 8 passes min. overnight.
All Ram inserted first, if you get an error, then go 1 by 1 again to find the culprit.

Jul 20, 2022
I did it inside the PC case (rookie mistake, I know), I assume there is no reason to put it out of the case now. PSC still shows dysfunctionality with dram & still no display. The ram is brand new and hasn't activated any XMP profile when I installed the windows.

Trying taking out & back in the CMOS battery didn't help either. The only thing that did work one time only is when I took out and put back the ram sticks. This is so freaking weird.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Some cases have been known to short out the MB. An out of case post is an absolute must for that reason. A hassle yes, but you want to find out the problem, right ?
The other thing to try is run only 1 stick to see if you can get to Bios.

Jul 20, 2022
Ok so...

I know how it'll sound but out of the case, it wouldn't start at all. The motherboard LEDs will light up, but... that's about it. CPU cooler wouldn't start and no indication at all that the system is on. I had the motherboard on her box & after I tried in a wooden surface if that makes any difference. Same result.
I numerous checked all the connections and even if I did something wrong, inside the case with the exact same procedure the system does start. So... yeah...😕

I have tried both ram sticks one at a time. Same exact result.

EDIT: I tried another set of memories (that provenly work) from a friend. Same result. So I guess the only thing that remains is that the problem is with the motherboard. I can't think something else.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
You're rushing past the out of the box test. If you can't run it out of the case, you have problems already that will not be solved by dropping it into the case, that's the whole point.
When out of the box did you install all the power cables properly ? Did you use silver thermal paste on CPU or the cheap white one ?
Are you sure the Ram is properly in and the locking brackets holding it ? (both sides per stick)
Dead On Arrival is not common but not impossible, RMA MB then ultimately.