New Build, No Display Output

JokerACE

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Brand new build. Everything seems to be fine. Verified connected properly, starts up, lights up, fans all work... But monitor reports no signal.

i7-7700K 4.2 Ghz CPU
Asus Hero IX Z270 motherboard
64Gb Corsair DDR4 3466Mhz RAM
Asus Poseidon GTX 1080ti GPU
2x 1TB Intel 600p M.2 SSD
H100Vi CPU cooler
Corsair RM650i PSU
Asus PG279Q monitor
Corsair K95 keyboard
Razer mouse

Been years since I built a computer, so I may be missing something obvious. That being said, I took my time putting everything together.

Power lights up mobo, GPU, all the fans, keyboard, case, etc. Boot runs through to code AE (Legacy Boot event, no SATA drive/boot drive, planning on booting from USB stick), so I don't think that's the problem (yet). Problem is, monitor is reporting no DVI signal.

Ran through the boot checklist. Verified CPU is seated proper, heat sink same (yes, I removed plastic cover, thermal paste was already applied) & plugged in (to CPU Fan jumpers), RAM seated properly, power cables seated/fully engaged, mouse/keyboard plugged in to their respective USB slots (with the 2nd keyboard USB plugged in "below").

1.) Considered that the GPU needed BIOS/Driver updating to talk proper with the mobo, so I pulled the GPU, plugging the DVI into the mobo port. Also tried HDMI, no joy either (both through the GPU, and the mobo).

2.) Pulled all but the first stick of RAM, same issue no DV signal, so don't believe it's improper/DOA RAM.

3.) Verified the monitor works (display'd a PS4).

There was no mobo speaker, and I forgot to buy an aux one (it's in the mail as we speak), but I do not think the boot is the problem. That side of the equation seems fine. Same with power, everything seems to power up fine. Just have no video output signal. No idea why.

Also, all components are new and were handled delicately (both physical and electromagnetic).

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Solution
To tell the truth, you got me stumped. The only thing I can think of, is finding another cpu to drop into the motherboard to test it, or put your cpu into a known good computer to isolate the problem. I just can't think of anything you haven't already tried. . . except maybe stripping the system back to just motherboard, cpu, 1 stick memory, and psu. . . .
You will need to use a display port for that GPU to use it properly. Forget the DVI.

But when you pulled the GPU out and plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard you should have gotten a signal from the integrated graphics of the motherboard. One thing that may have happened is when you hooked up the GPU and powered it on the mobo may have automatically turned off integrated graphics. I would try clearing the "CMOS" without the GPU installed. It should be a button on the motherboard. Then run the HDMI cable from the motherboard to the monitor and you should get video with integrated graphics. This will tell you if you have everything else hooked up right or if the problem is with the GPU.
Also, check to make sure you have the power cables hooked up to the 1080ti from the psu.

JokerACE

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it, flashed the CMOS, restarted with the HDMI cable, no luck.

I've noticed though, whenever I restart the computer, the monitor will wake up, to tell me no signal, then go back to sleep... So something is getting through.

JokerACE

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017

AE, Legacy Boot event. Which I intuit to be "needs OS, cannae find bootdrive." Hence the USB stick.

JokerACE

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017

Yes Sir. Have a HDMI cable that got linked from the PS4, and then the cable with one corner cut off (I think it's a DVI cable? Frankly it's been awhile.) Tried both.

Like I said, when I restart the computer, the monitor "unsleeps" but only to tell me no video signal. Which is odd.

sarcophagus_macabre

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013
To tell the truth, you got me stumped. The only thing I can think of, is finding another cpu to drop into the motherboard to test it, or put your cpu into a known good computer to isolate the problem. I just can't think of anything you haven't already tried. . . except maybe stripping the system back to just motherboard, cpu, 1 stick memory, and psu. . . .

Solution