huytbvo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I finished putting everything together for my new build and powered it up but I get no display. If I remove the GPU, I get the beeps and error code on the Dr Debug corresponding to no GPU. If I remove my RAM, I get the beeps and the Dr Debug error code corresponding to no memory.

Does this rule out motherboard and cpu as being defective? If yes, does this mean the only faulty component is the GPU? I don't understand how it could be malfunctioning since the fans for the GPU do come on. I need to be sure that the GPU is defective before I go buying another GPU to test my system.

For reference, here is my part list:

intel i7-2600k
asrock p67 extreme 4
xfx radeon 6870
G.Skill DDR3-1333 2x2GB RAm
samsung spinpoint f3
corsair 650W PSU

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Does everything else in your case turn on, such as case fans and hdd spinning? I would double check that your connections are completely in. Have you tried the other PCIex16 slots to see if maybe the one you used is not working? There's also a slight discrepancy between PCIex16 connections since your motherboard supports 2.0 and your card is 2.1, although from what I found that shouldn't be a problem. Also try the second DVI port.

huytbvo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

Yes, all the fans will spin. I can hear the hdd spinning. I can hear the dvd drive spinning

Both the 8 pin and the 24 pin are in securely. I've removed and reattached them many times. The pci-e power cables are also completely in.

Yes, I've tried the other PCIex16 slots. No luck.

Yes, I've noticed that too. I'm pretty sure that 2.1 is backwards compatible with 2.0.

Any other tips?

huytbvo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
I only have one monitor but I did test it on a working system. In fact, I'm using it right now. I'm using the same power cord and DVI. If it works on my current setup, there's no reason it won't work on my new build right?

lonewarder

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
If you have not yet done a clear CMOS via jumpers, do so now (the manual should have a board layout diagram showing component/pin locations). Next, I know that you did a 'RAM present' test, but you need to try something a bit more advanced. Make sure that you are using the manual's recommended slots for a 2-stick configuration; if you are, try booting with only one stick present in the 'A' slot. That may get you into UEFI so that you can manually set your memory timings-this has solved this particular issue with other manufacturers' boards, so it may help here. If not, try different RAM/slot configurations to find one that boots. (And make sure your RAM is approved for use with your motherboard-many an issue has been solved right there). If you have already tried these things and I have inadvertently insulted your intelligence, I apologize. I find the majority of 'failure to boot' issues to be memory related. That or the result of a 'hung' BIOS (one that fails to update itself when new components are added). Your rig is pretty lean as far as parts go and you seem to have covered about everything else. I hope this helps.

huytbvo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011

I've done this by using the clear CMOS button. The manual says it has the same functionality as the jumpers.

Tried both sticks of RAM(one at a time) in all the slots. No luck.

This could be the problem. I see that the compatibility list has several different DD3-1333 G.Skill RAM but it doesn't have my specific module. Is this really what's causing me no display?

Don't worry about insulting my intelligence loool. I'll run to the store and buy new RAM. How certain are you that a RAM incompatibility issue will prevent me from getting display? I know it's most likely booting up correctly, just not getting any display.

Thanks!