Feb 18, 2021
Gigabyte z390 gaming x
i5 9600k
500w psu
1660ti
G.skills 16g ddr4
Windows 7 Home Premium

Hey guys,

What started off as just a gpu upgrade from a 750ti to 1660ti, turns out I'll be upgrading the cpu i5 4460 to i5 9600k and ASRock h97 to a gigabyte z390 gaming x. Had to upgrade to ddr4 also because of the new mb. So after assembling everything to the new board, fired her up and surprisingly windows seem to be running normal despite the mouse and keyboard not operating. In BIOS they both are working, but when windows start loading they stop working. In BIOS I enabled everything in usb configuration. I figured it must be the lack of driver software for the z390 board, but how would I install theses files with an inoperative usb port? No mouse in safe mode as well but keyboard seem to be able to scroll through. As far as reinstalling windows, no mouse or keyboard working on the windows install disk. I've been at this problem for a few days now so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys

Feb 18, 2021
Thanks for the response(s)

When I get to the install screen using a boot iso usb there's no mouse response to proceed forward to install windows. That's where I hit a dead end. Could it be in usb configuration? I have everything enabled in that section.

if USB is disabled for some reason; try a keyboard with a PS\2 cable.

i've noticed a few sites with relatively low ratings for that series of motherboards. maybe check some of the user reviews on NewEgg, Amazon, and Gigabyte's home site. maybe some insight to similar issues has been discussed & resolved.

Feb 18, 2021
Thanks for the feedback guys.

After picking up a ps2 mouse I'm able to use it to boot windows usb but when you click install to prepares windows set up and I get a driver not installed message. It does this because when it prepares the set up the usb ports become inactive.

I think the only way to do this is to install the AS Rock board and copy the files to the hard drive and install windows from there after the z390 install. It would be even better if I can install the driver software without reinstalling windows. Will I be able to install the driver package without doing a windows installation?

If windows would have worked with mouse and keyboard you could have tried a migrate that would keep your old files. Since its not working you will have to do a fresh install of windows 10, when the time comes for a license key you can type your windows 7 key in and it will update it to windows 10.

Feb 18, 2021
Window 10 up and running and all usb ports are working, but I don't have an optical drive to install the driver package. I copied over to a usb and it won't install from set up. Gives me Run set up fail, please check your cd/dvd rom. Checked gigabyte's website and they want me to buy them. So how would I go about installing the package I have on dvd?

TRENDING THREADS