new build, no POST, no beep, shuts off 1 second after power up

dh0864

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
built a new PC for work, put it all together with no issues but when i went to power up for the first time it turned on for about 1-2 seconds, fans start to spin, lights light up and then it all shuts down

if i remove the 8 pin CPU power connector it will stay running until powered down, there is no beeps from the internal speaker, ever, no matter what i do, EZ-debug light stays lit white

i tried bread boarding with only PSU, CPU, and MOBO, same thing, turn on and then off right away, and will stay running with CPU power connector unplugged

I tested the PSU with a multi meter, all voltages are correct and unit powers on with a paper clip

so I've determined the issue is either the MOBO or the CPU

I am not sure how to test further, I've heard if the MOBO doesn't beep then its bad, but I've also read about compatibility issues between MOBO and CPU

any assistance would be greatly appreciated

my build:
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics Card
-Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
-Intel Core i7-7700 Processor - 3.6GHz Clock Speed, Quad-Core, 8 Threads, 8MB Cache
-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 - DIMM 288-pin, 3000MHz/PC4-24000
-WD Red 4 TB NAS Hard Drive
-ThermalTake ToughPower 750W GOLD (Modular)
-StarTech.com PCI Express Wireless N Adapter - 300 Mbps
-MSI Z370-A PRO Motherboard - Intel Z370 Chipset
-ThermalTake View 71 Tempered Glass Edition Full Tower Computer Case
-cd/dvd burner

Solution
Since you tested the PSU (and found it to be working) and the CPU socket is fine then that leaves the motherboard as the problem. Perhaps replace it or take it to a computer repair shop and see if they can test the motherboard for you.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Take out your CPU and inspect the socket. Look for bent, broken, or missing pins. Reseat the CPU if you find nothing and attempt to reboot. Make sure your CPU fan is plugged into the proper fan header on the motherboard.

dh0864

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014

took cpu out and reinstalled 2 or 3 times, inspected pins nothing looks bent or damaged. had an issue a long time ago with a bent cpu pin, so i am very cautious now around them

CPU fan was plugged into the correct spot. although after the first reinsertion of the cpu i simply left the fan out just in case it had to be removed again

it doesnt seem like that would cause my issue as it did it the same thing before

the only way i can get the damn thing to stay running is if the CPU power connector is unplugged, but obviously with no processing power it will not do anymore than power on

Jwpanz

Honorable
Since you tested the PSU (and found it to be working) and the CPU socket is fine then that leaves the motherboard as the problem. Perhaps replace it or take it to a computer repair shop and see if they can test the motherboard for you.

Solution