[SOLVED] New build, no post, VGA and Data debug lights on

Max98

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
Part list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scardrone/saved/#view=KfTDjX

Got a new build with parts and have assembled but am not getting post, the VGA and Boot debug lights are on.
Have tried so far:
  • 2 different gpus
  • 2 pcie cables
  • Old PSU
  • Updated BIOS
  • Reset CMOS
  • Booting with adding one part at a time
  • 2 displays
Anything else I should try? I feel like it’s a bad motherboard which is very annoying.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What's plugged into the monitor and is that cord plugged into the gpu? Be surprised at the amount of ppl who plug into the motherboard ports instead, which will give a vga error.

Also, can try temporarily using the gpu in a lower slot, there's sometimes issues with bios not wanting to auto switch to the right gen for the card, it defaults to Gen4 in the top slot as that's what the cpu runs, using cpu pcie lanes, but the lower gpu slots are chipset pcie lanes and can bypass all that and set bios correctly.

Max98

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
What's plugged into the monitor and is that cord plugged into the gpu? Be surprised at the amount of ppl who plug into the motherboard ports instead, which will give a vga error.

Also, can try temporarily using the gpu in a lower slot, there's sometimes issues with bios not wanting to auto switch to the right gen for the card, it defaults to Gen4 in the top slot as that's what the cpu runs, using cpu pcie lanes, but the lower gpu slots are chipset pcie lanes and can bypass all that and set bios correctly.

Thanks for the reply, yes I’ve tried both pcie slots with my 3060ti, may try it on the bottom slot with my 970. And no it’s not plugged into mobo hdmi.
I’m just a bit lost I’ve never had this issue before building a PC

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm. Well ram should be in slots 2/4, fully seated, the 970 should boot into bios without issue.
Could try with the 3060ti, having the monitor unplugged at the gpu, press power button, but before it gets to vga, plug it in, that'll initiate the hdmi handshake, which should work.

The only other thing I can think of is that the cpu cooler is too tight on one side, as in one side was tightened down before the other and not done together, it can mess up the die like poking a standard led monitor distorts the picture. That will give vga/ram errors.

Max98

Honorable
Feb 18, 2017
Hmm. Well ram should be in slots 2/4, fully seated, the 970 should boot into bios without issue.
Could try with the 3060ti, having the monitor unplugged at the gpu, press power button, but before it gets to vga, plug it in, that'll initiate the hdmi handshake, which should work.

The only other thing I can think of is that the cpu cooler is too tight on one side, as in one side was tightened down before the other and not done together, it can mess up the die like poking a standard led monitor distorts the picture. That will give vga/ram errors.

Reseated CPU and cooler, no luck, also tried both gpus plugging in monitor as it’s booting still nothing. Could it just be a bad motherboard? I’m just not sure what else it could be

TRENDING THREADS