New Build No POST

tawnos42

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
ASRock Z87 Extreme3 with Intel Core i5-4460. I have removed everything but one stick of memory and do not get any video from it. After hitting the power button both the case fans and the CPU fan will spin. The CPU fan initially spins very rapidly and then reduces in speed. When I had a video card in the PCI slot its fans were spinning as well. There is no beep from the motherboard. Most of the times when I first power it on it runs for a short period of time ( 30 - 60 seconds ), then restarts by itself, and will then run for a long period of time ( at least a few minutes and I have not observed it powering back off again until I have done so with the power button ). At one point when I powered it on after making changes it powered on and just stayed on without even the reset.

Also, this motherboard seems to have connections for VGA/DVI. Are these onboard network adapters or some sort of pass-through from the video card? I have not had a motherboard with onboard video before but if this is independent video does that mean i can test without the video card involved? I removed it because I was hoping for a motherboard beep at least but if I can continue testing with nothing connected at all that would be ideal. In the past I have always had to have the video card connected to do any testing.

Solution

The board needs a BIOS update. Try ordering a BIOS chip on ebay and replace the board's one (it's on socket), or use a supported CPU.

tawnos42

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
I have now tried breadboarding and stripping down to no memory sticks. Right now I have just the motherboard with the CPU attached plugged into the PSU ( using both power connectors ) and it exhibits the same behaviour as before - when I turn it on using a screwdriver to short the power switch it will initially spin the CPU fan fairly fast for ~10 seconds and then reduce its speed. It will run for about 30-60 seconds, restart itself, spin the fan very quickly again for ~10 seconds and then continue running without resetting. There are no beeps at any point. I have tried plugging in the case 'HD Audio' cable to the motherboard's port labeled 'HD Audio 1'. I tried plugging in my speakers to the motherboard's sound output port. I tried plugging in the 'AC 97' connection from the case into the 'HD Audio 1' port on the motherboard. I don't have any way to check that the audio is working but I think I have tried every rational permutation at least to get a beep.

The board needs a BIOS update. Try ordering a BIOS chip on ebay and replace the board's one (it's on socket), or use a supported CPU.

Solution