New Build - No Power with CPU Installed

Aug 17, 2018
Hello,

I'm having an issue with a new build. I *was* experiencing issues with having no display during boot, where I would only sometimes see a screen. Other times, I would just see a dark/black screen, and another where there was no signal at all. When I actually did get a connection working as intended, I'd encounter a kernel.sys error.

Now, I'm having issues powering on the system. But only with the CPU installed. When the CPU is uninstalled, the PC powers on. Obviously, I can get no display without a CPU. While breadboarding, I also noticed...smoke leaving the motherboard near the JAUD1 port where nothing is connected, so the motherboard has effectively been fried...yet, again still powers on without a CPU installed.

I've never experienced a CPU and motherboard issue like this. So, my question is: is this normal behavior to encounter from a faulty motherboard? Just so I know what I need to replace to fix the build. My only concern for the PSU is if the PSU caused the motherboard to smoke, but I have no means of testing it at the moment.

Thanks,

Build is below:

MSI B350 Tomahawk
Corsair TX 550
AMD Ryzen 1600
Nvidia MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G OC

Aug 17, 2018
Makes sense. I've gone ahead and requested a refund via RMA. I ordered a second motherboard to replace it, which should arrive tomorrow. I'll update this thread once I've been able to test it, with hopes that the PSU isn't the culprit.

Thanks,

Aug 17, 2018
The issue lied with a faulty motherboard as well as a faulty CPU. I was having similar but not exact issues with the replacement motherboard, and the replacement board (B350 Prime Plus) being a board that can only be powered on with a CPU installed, it helped me narrow down the problem down to the CPU. I point to the initial motherboard also being responsible, because...y'know, smoke. It was also potentially an issue with the PSU, so I bought a EVGA G2 550w just to ensure I didn't smoke another board. No issues since. I'll probably test the other two PSUs (HX 750, TX550m) that I own with a multimeter later, just to ensure I don't doom any other builds with potentially fault power supply units.

Thanks,