Question New Build - No Signal Issues

Apr 18, 2021
So I created the following build:

ASUS PRIME Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen)
Intel i9 9900KF
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Heatsink/Fan, 4 Heat Pipes
Crucial RAM 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4
New MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH LP OC (Overclock) 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 Graphic Card
Corsair 750x PSU
Corsair 275Q Carbide Case Black

Computer powers on great, fans work.
But no signal. I tried two monitors, two signal cables, nothing....
I had the video card RMA to the manufacturer. I bought it from NewEgg and it had passed the 30 days.
MSI returns it to me without any notes with a paper that simply says repair: OK

I put the graphics card back in....same issue.
I tried three monitors, two signal cables, nothing....NO SIGNAL.
Is there a component here in this build that may be causing an issue?
Lack of RAM? Processor not matching with the GPU? The GPU having an OC setting?
Also, it seems my i9 won't use onboard display also.

I'm on a budget here and I just thought it would be nice to enjoy this machine I built.
I'm no expert at PC building but I'm a technician, so any tips and/or advice would definitely help me.

-Gabe

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is the monitor set for the right input. Gotta ask, it's often overlooked. If it's set on dvi and you tried dp and hdmi, you'll get nothing.

Chances of 3 monitors all set for dvi is pretty good, if that's what prior setting was or defaults to.

How did you OC a factory card without display? Or is the card a factory OC version, which won't affect anything, just has higher clocks out of the box.

The VGA light will only light up if there's a physical issue with the gpu and the motherboard doesn't get a 'power ok' signal nor a 'video out' signal. Anything else will be a Cpu issue and you'll get that red led on at boot. If all the 4 leds cye through, there's no issue with vga, ram, boot or cpu and you'll get a green 'ok' led that stays lit.

Apr 18, 2021
Is the monitor set for the right input. Gotta ask, it's often overlooked. If it's set on dvi and you tried dp and hdmi, you'll get nothing.

Chances of 3 monitors all set for dvi is pretty good, if that's what prior setting was or defaults to.

How did you OC a factory card without display? Or is the card a factory OC version, which won't affect anything, just has higher clocks out of the box.

The VGA light will only light up if there's a physical issue with the gpu and the motherboard doesn't get a 'power ok' signal nor a 'video out' signal. Anything else will be a Cpu issue and you'll get that red led on at boot. If all the 4 leds cye through, there's no issue with vga, ram, boot or cpu and you'll get a green 'ok' led that stays lit.

I haven't made any changes to overclock. It's simply an overclock version. No QLEDs present, I tried disconnecting all of them and setting them one by one. I used Smart tvs, and an old monitor.

Let's start with the old monitor. It's default is VGA so I used a VGA-HDMI converter. Would this cause any issues?
On the TVs, I hadn't thought about the default DVI setting. But I believe the default is HDMI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hdmi is digital signal, vga is analog, apart from being different formats, so if that hdmi to vga wasn't an active converter, if it was passive or just a difference in cable ends, it won't work.

Also the signal only travels one way, so hdmi to vga would work, but vga to hdmi will not, since hdmi is the source at the gpu.

The TV also has source inputs, same as the monitor. If you didn't change the input to hdmi2 or hdmi-pc etc, all you'll get is whatever is on cable TV.

At first when booting, you should see 4 leds run on sequence in the top right hand corner (usually right next to the ram somewhere) of the motherboard. If you aren't seeing any of those run, or it's stopping at one led in particular, then that's a pointer as to why boot may not be completing, and you aren't getting a signal. Things happen in order. The VGA is 3rd on the list, if it's hanging up on 1st or 2nd, monitors get nada.

Apr 18, 2021
The TV also has source inputs, same as the monitor. If you didn't change the input to hdmi2 or hdmi-pc etc, all you'll get is whatever is on cable TV.

I checked all input sources, HDMI1, HDMI2 (the ones I plugged in anyway)
I also rarely use cable tv.
When I meant VGA I meant the old blue cable.

Also the signal only travels one way, so hdmi to vga would work, but vga to hdmi will not, since hdmi is the source at the gpu.

HDMI to VGA, sorry. It's got VGA on one end and HDMI going to the GPU since that's the source of my GPU.

"At first when booting, you should see 4 leds run on sequence in the top right hand corner (usually right next to the ram somewhere) of the motherboard. If you aren't seeing any of those run, or it's stopping at one led in particular, then that's a pointer as to why boot may not be completing, and you aren't getting a signal. Things happen in order. The VGA is 3rd on the list, if it's hanging up on 1st or 2nd, monitors get nada."

I located these LEDs. None are lit up. I tried to isolate each variable by only adding 1 component at a time. Also, I only use 1 monitor for now.

I had someone mention it could be the BIOS version of my motherboard is not compatible with my CPU, on another forum.
Any thoughts on this one?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I located these LEDs. None are lit up. I tried to isolate each variable by only adding 1 component at a time. Also, I only use 1 monitor for now.
Build the pc fully. Have it in a normal working condition, gpu plugged in, ram seated, 2x power plugs in, storage etc. That's when the bios can actually run through and test everything in the post process. Piecemeal doesn't cut it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The leds only work at boot, they shut off after the test. If none of them light up at all, you don't have a display not showing issue, you have something happening BEFORE the display even gets a chance to go on