Aug 19, 2019
I have an msi tomahawk b450 and I've tried pretty much everything I can think of to try to get this to work, but not once have I gotten a signal on my monitor. The monitor is confirmed working, I've tried multiple different cords, hdmi and dvi, ones that definitely work, and none of them work. The thing is, the EZ debug lights aren't helping. They do the standard, cpu for one second, then gpu for a bit, then boot light if I don't have any boot devices plugged in, but if I have one plugged in, the boot light only sometimes goes on (which is kind of weird, but I think it's that if I plug in the DVD drive and put the windows disk in it just boots to that or something - regardless, seems unrelated to the issue.) The point is, the EZ debug lights are not showing any of the components aren't working, it seems as if it's working completely. I've tried plugging everything into the motherboard while it's on it's box, I've tried resetting cmos multiple times, I've tried updating to every available bios version between v17 and v1A, I've tried graphics card in both available ports, I've tried both of my ram sticks in every slot, nothing. I have no idea what the issue even could be, because the EZ debug lights are not giving me any issue. I wish I could just say it's the HDMI cord but, like I said, I've tried multiple, with multiple different monitors, both confirmed to be working. I've also tried just starting it and letting it sit for 30 minutes. I'm at a huge loss. This should be working and I'm actually just so confused why it's not. Everything is installed super tight, I've redone this three times now, it should all be plugged in perfectly. The LED's at the back of the motherboard start white for a second, then turn red, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to happen. All fans, including GPU fans, are working. Nothing at all looks out of the ordinary. I double checked the power supply and have tried it on and off eco mode. I've tried plugging into the motherboard directly as well. I've tried running without a GPU but it just gives me the GPU light on EZ debug and it still gives me no signal. If I could even figure out which part is potentially not working, I could try to replace it, but I just don't understand, it all seems to be fine. Of course, there is no thermal paste anywhere there's not supposed to be. Also, occasionally when I plug an HDMI to DVI cable that I have to the GPU, it gives me a different error other than no signal, it says 'Out of Range', though it only happens with that very specific cable when I put it into the GPU, very strange, seems to be just the cable though.

This is my pcpartpicker list. (Though, I did get a different cpu cooler because I wanted one specifically made for AM4, regardless, that shouldn't matter I assume.)

EDIT: Solved, I just needed to run a VGA cable from my monitor to get it to boot the first time. I'm not sure if the HDMI will work as I haven't finished up setting windows but that is a seperate problem entirely. Since there is not VGA port on my motherboard or graphics card, I had to get a VGA to HDMI cable, this is the one I used, give it a shot if you have the same problem.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019
return the cpu cooler
https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9x65
it is not suitable for overclocking and should be used with care on CPUs with more than 84W TDP (Thermal Design Power).

cpu is 105W TDP

what the monitor model? what connection are you using on the gpu/monitor ?
Well, fair enough, I'll do that. As for the monitors, two of these, neither worked. Have tried the HDMI cords that come with them, two different hdmi to dvi converters I have, and a seperate HDMI cord I got from amazon. I did just try a VGA to HDMI converter I have (Neither the motherboard nor the GPU have a VGA port), actually, and that actually works! Though, that doesn't exactly solve the problem completely. I would, of course, prefer it to actually work with a straight HDMI port, and it doesn't make much sense why these monitors work with an HDMI connection on a different computer. Could it just be that I need to install windows before it works?

Oct 2, 2019
Well, fair enough, I'll do that. As for the monitors, two of these, neither worked. Have tried the HDMI cords that come with them, two different hdmi to dvi converters I have, and a seperate HDMI cord I got from amazon. I did just try a VGA to HDMI converter I have (Neither the motherboard nor the GPU have a VGA port), actually, and that actually works! Though, that doesn't exactly solve the problem completely. I would, of course, prefer it to actually work with a straight HDMI port, and it doesn't make much sense why these monitors work with an HDMI connection on a different computer. Could it just be that I need to install windows before it works?

I am having exactly the same problem as you, so I will try using a VGA to HDMI as you did and see if it works but I am interested to know, did you get the HDMI to work directly between your PC and monitor without having to convert to VGA?