[SOLVED] New build, no signal to monitor but everything is on and running

Aug 3, 2020
Just rebuilt my computer, ryzen 3600, msi 1660 super, msi B450 gaming plus max, rip jaws (2), WD blue ssd and kept the hard drive, thermaltake 700w smart series.

Booted up well at first, But after turning it off Ans back on there is no signal to monitor. Everything seems to be running. Check the hdmi cable and that was fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Solution
img_5c234323052b3.jpg

You have to enter Computer Management-Disk management.

Your SSD should show up in there, if not, somethings wrong either with the ssd or connection.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
Booted up well at first, But after turning it off Ans back on there is no signal to monitor. Everything seems to be running. Check the hdmi cable and that was fine. Any ideas?

Do you see any kind of bios screen or maybe hear some beep immediately after turning system on? Or you have no signal at all after turning on the computer?

Can you try to enter Bios (pressing DEL right after power on) an access Bios to see if the motherboard if starting correctly?

If you can enter the bios then something may be wrong with the OS, if you cant then somethings wrong either with:
-BIOS configuration (you can reset BIOS setup by using the appropriate pin on the motherboard or by removing the battery with PC turned off and disconnected from AC )
-Ram modules or video card is loose, or even a power connector to the motherboard
-Loose Cpu Cooler
-Something just died (less likely)

If you dont have any spare hardware to test all parts, you can remove all ram modules and turn on the computer, you have to hear beep codes from the motherboard telling you that somethings is missing, if the motherboard doesn't emit any noise, then maybe the motherboard is dead.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
Thanks for the help!
Yeah there is nothing on the screen after I turn it on. After what you’ve said I’m hoping it’s just a loose part so I’ll go back through and try to make sure everything is tight. How tight should I put the CPU cooler? I tightened it until it felt snug. I didn’t want to over do it.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Thanks for the help!
Yeah there is nothing on the screen after I turn it on. After what you’ve said I’m hoping it’s just a loose part so I’ll go back through and try to make sure everything is tight. How tight should I put the CPU cooler? I tightened it until it felt snug. I didn’t want to over do it.
If you're using the stock cooler, it should be obvious. At a point, you will feel like you cant tighten anymore compared to usual.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks for the help!

As Tight as you can without feeling you are overdoing it.

After doing a quick check for loose parts maybe you could give it a try , if still nothing maybe you can try resetting bios (check motherboard manual) or
-Remove the video card (if your Ryzen has integrated Graphics) and try again
-Remove all ram modules and try to start the system, you should hear some beeps (assuming you have a motherboard speaker) this will tell us that a the very least the motherboard is alive
-Try to start the system with the bare minimum (Cpu, 1 ram module, integrated graphics if available) and disconnect everything else (hdds, optical drives, pcie cards, even case fans).

Also, some motherboards are a picky about how and where to install memory modules, check manual to see the recommended slots for dual channel configurations or single channel configurations

bodpcqbulv141.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020
Okay, on the motherboard there is an EZ debug LED and the boot led is on. Which the manual says is the booting device is not detected or fail. What are my options with this?

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
Okay, on the motherboard there is an EZ debug LED and the boot led is on. Which the manual says is the booting device is not detected or fail. What are my options with this?

-That Means that there isnt any bootable device detected (like a hdd, or even an usb drive). did you disconnect all drives?
-Did you see anything on screen, bios splash screen?
-Does your Ryzen 3600 have integrated graphics? have you tried connecting your monitor to to any of the onboard video connectors to see if you get any video signal?

Aug 3, 2020
There is a new ssd drive...I was going to reinstall windows on to that. I did have the old hdd installed but took it out after this problem started.

I haven’t seen anything on the screen since the first time it booted up.

The ryzen doesn’t come with integrated graphics, to my knowledge.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
by onboard connectors do you mean the plugs at the back of the computer for the graphics card?

All motherboards have hdmi/vga connectors for integrated graphics, if your Ryzen ends with a G at the end of the name on the box, it has integrated graphics.

Have you tried entering bios (pressing DEL key, sometimes you have to press it repeatedly) after turning on? I just wanna make sure that the system is booting to bios and you can see something on screen

Aug 3, 2020
So I just turned it on, and it still just says no signal on the monitor and then monitor goes to sleep because of no signal. The computer is on and everything seems to be running. But no bios screen. I checked the cable and even switched it out for a new one.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
Alright so I got it to boot up! However the ssd is recognized, but I cannot access it/ it’s not visible in the drive management folder.

Excellent! what was the problem ?

thats because the ssd is not formated, its an empty unit, you need to partition and format it either using windows or using windows installer if you plan to install windows from scratch.

Aug 3, 2020
I believe it was either the cpu fan or loose gpu, I took them both off and reinstalled them and she started right up.

I went into the windows partition folder and the ssd isn’t visible in there. Am I missing something or perhaps that needs to be reinstalled? When I go into the bios the ssd card is in red when I see it in the boot order.

Radiux_sv

Commendable
Aug 18, 2020
img_5c234323052b3.jpg

You have to enter Computer Management-Disk management.

Your SSD should show up in there, if not, somethings wrong either with the ssd or connection.

Solution
Aug 3, 2020
Alright, I’ll take another look when I get home tomorrow and see about installing the ssd again so see if it’s a connection issue. I just bought a m.2 ssd so I’ll be putting that in when it arrives as well.