New Build No sound! Please help!

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hello everyone! Today i built a PC with my uncle. Well actually, I upgraded it with a Radeon HD 7770 and added a secondary hard drive for storage.

Anyways, I got Windows 7 home premium 64bit installed, started it up, but I cant hear any sound when i listen to music on youtube, or play games, or talk on skype.

First off, Yes my sound is not muted, secondly i updated my latest drivers At the AMD website. I also installed Realteck High definition audio codec. I also did a full windows update and rebooted, but still no sound.

I cannot figure out what the problem is. When i plug my mic which uses a headphone and microphone jack into the correct jack slots at the front of the case, nothing happens. If you guys could help me ASAP I'd really appreciate it. I do not hear sound with or without speakers, or my headset or headphones. I've been working on this all day and i cannot find a solution.

Please help me ):

Heres my build:
mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68 2
GPU: Radeon HD 7770
CPU: Intel Dual core 2.4GHZ (not sure which one exactly, but its old)
PSU: 430W Thermaltake
RAM: 2GB DDR2

If you need any other info just ask!

check that you havent dislodged the front panel sound cabling . On almost all motherboards these connect near the back panel just above the graphics card

You can also check sound controllers in DEVICE MANAGER
If everything is plugged in and it still doesnt work , then I would uninstall the sound drivers [ in device manager ] and then reboot . Windows should find the best driver and reinstall a fresh copy for you

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

I think my cables are in there properly, my volume mixer shows that the volume is going up cause of the music, but i just cannot hear it at all. In my device manager i have AMD high definition audio device and Realtek high definition audio. Should i uninstall them?

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
what about when you plug it into the back of the motherboard does sound work then?

im also a little confused. did you build the whole computer or just add a video card and hdd? if you just added the 2 parts was the sound working before?

i just checked my computer and if i right click on 'Realtek Digital Ouput' and select 'Test' i don't hear anything. my computer is set to 'Speakers' as default.

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

can you provide a screenshot of what your's looks like please? When you say the back of my mobo do you mean the USB ports? cause i tried plugging it into the audio jacks at the back but it never worked, same result for the USB ports

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

My speakers use 1 usb port and the headphone jack, the headset uses both jacks and no usb port. In device manager there are no yellow marks.

And on my playback section the only thing that is there is the realtek digital output, no speakers.

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

well firstly, which 1 is the speaker port on the back of the motherboard? (i wasn't 100% sure) and i installed win 7 64bit OS. I didn't download the link you gave me, should I?

EDIT: Sorry i was wrong, i DID install those drivers.

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

tried each port. no success, i think i ill go buy a sound card today. Will this fix the problem? I have the PCI slots for it

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I had a problem with the ethernet port at the back of my mobo so i had to buy a network card to use the internet, i think the audio ports are disabelled aswell. On realtek audio manager the only ones that appear to be working are the ones under digital: Orange and black inputs. The front panel and back panel are grayed out

WoadyBug

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I'm having a similar problem with my build, with the same mobo. Did a new sound card do the trick for you? I tried to install a sound card, but the installation process failed, saying that it didn't recognize that there was even a sound card plugged in. Not sure if it was a faulty sound card or not, I just returned the sound card to the store and tried to find another solution. I even went as far as running Darik's Boot and Nuke to remove any possible conflicting programming, and starting fresh with Windows 8.1, but still having the same problem. The strange thing is, if I uninstall the audio driver, reboot my computer, reinstall the driver, and make sure to NOT reboot, sometimes... sometimes the audio will work. I might have to uninstall and reinstall 4 or 5 times before it will work. But after I get it working, if I reboot my computer, the sound will be gone again. Still not sure what to make of it, and still haven't found a permanent solution. Best of luck. If you find a real answer please let me know.

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

Yes a a cheap soundcard did fix the problem. It wont really matter which one, i bought a cheap $12 Sabrent sound card and it works fine