Question New Build - No Video Output - Out of troubleshooting ideas

Dec 6, 2023
Hi all,

I put together a new build last week and ran into some problems with getting a video output to my display.

What is happening:
When I turn on my system I typically get something *trying* to display on my monitor, it turns on and off a few times, but eventually loops forever with nothing being displayed. When I remove my GPU and use my onboard graphics it consistently boots fine.

The WEIRDEST part of all of this, is that I have stepped away a few times to take a break and come back the next day, tried a new fix, and then got a clean boot with the GPU in. Naturally, I thought I solved my problem, put my case back together, and then tried to boot again, but it reverted to the exact same results as normal. This has happened only 2 times out of 100s of boot attempts, but both times being after a first try fix following a period of being away. Not sure if this could be because the PSU was unplugged/off and it's resetting and draining the CMOS completely in a way I hadn't replicated before? Or something else completely.. ?

Things I have done so far:
  • CMOS reset, including battery removal, holding power button down, waiting 5-10 min, and then replaced it
  • Cleaned all dust and debris from original case
  • Checked and inspected all connections, multiple times over on PSU, CPU, GPU
  • Removed GPU completely = boots fine using onboard graphics
  • Swapped out HDMI cable
  • Swapped out 3 different GPUs of varying power levels
  • Swapped out a new PSU
  • Removed a piece of metal on my case that was close to the HDMI connector (was scared this could be touching the metal on HDMI plug and shorting it out)
  • Reseated multiple GPUs many times
  • My motherboard LEDs seem to illuminate differently depending on various changes I've made. When GPU is plugged in and display is looping, it is typically displaying the green LED (boot).
  • Removed all RAM but 1 and reseated, double checked they are firmly in place

Because my system is able to boot fine using onboard graphics it really seems related to my GPU or possibly motherboard slot?

I am not sure what else to try other than fully replacing my motherboard at this point. Any ideas / suggestions are welcome!

Thanks so much in advance for your help. 🙏

System Specs:
CPU:
Intel Core i7-12700K - Core i7 12th Gen Alder Lake 12-Core (8P+4E) 3.6 GHz LGA 1700
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H Gaming (WiFi 6E) LGA 1700
SSD: WD BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS400T2X0E, only installed Win11 otherwise empty
GPU: MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 ATX (Also tried swapping in an EVGA RTX 2080 and an EVGA 1660Ti)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 64GB (4 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 7000 (PC5 56000)
PSU: EVGA G3 1000W Power Supply, used about 3 yrs previously with no problems (also tried a EVGA GT 850W Power Supply, brand new)
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (installed via USB boot stick)