New build - No video output

Robthorne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I have just brought a new custom build PC (1st ever custom build, however i have done minor upgrades before)

1 x Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Case
1 x CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU
1 x Maxtor STM3250318AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM
1 x LiteOn 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer & Ram + Lightscribe IDE Black Bare Drive - OEM
1 x OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC Memory Kit CL5(5-5-5-18)
1 x ASUS M4A78 770 Socket AM2+ 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
1 x AMD Athlon X2 7850 2.8GHz Black Edition Socket AM2+ 3MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
1 x Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 HDMI DVI VGA PCI-E Graphics Card

Once I have plugged the whole system together I turn the power on: and no video out of the gfx card.
N.B there is no gfx card onboard the mother board.
I do have seperate power going to the graphics card. I have tried different power cables to the gfx card also.

All fans turn on when i power up the PC (CPU,Case, GFX card, PSU)

Any suggestions of what i can do? Or if I have ordered the incorrect parts to go with my PC? If i have order the wrong parts, any suggestions of which parts I can replace them with. (i would perfer this to be done using Ebuyer as i'm from the UK, but any help is better than non :) )

Regards,

Rob

spinny

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Do you have both motherboard power connectors plugged in? There is a large 24 pin one and a small 4 pin one.

Also be sure that your monitor is on the correct analog/digital input selection (if applicable).

Robthorne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I have plugged the power into the motherboard, both the 24pin for the motherboard and the 4pin for the CPU.

The setting of the monitor is also correct. I have tried both ana + digi outputs of the gfx card also.

Robthorne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I am starting to think there is something up with my motherboard - can some cast there eye over the system to check that it should work, so i know if i was wrong in ordering a bit of kit or if i should just replace my mother board. It is either that or my PSU isn't powerful enough. Is anyone able to comment on my psu power?

Your PSU is a very low-end PSU, but it barely meets the requirements for powering this system. No video output problems are very common and you'll most likely find the problem by going through the checklist posted above. I'm aware you don't see any video output, but the checklist still very much applies to you.

A RAM problem is very possible. Did you do the steps in the checklist about trying each stick of RAM in each RAM slot? Did you check the motherboard owners manual to see which RAM slots you're supposed to use with 2 sticks of RAM?

Did you try building the computer outside the case with the motherboard sitting on its cardboard box? The checklist was made a sticky so we don't have to ask these questions all the time.