[SOLVED] SOLVED New build, no video

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,
I am trying to build a system with a Gigabyte B550m DS3H mobo and AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 4350g processor. The cpu is specifically listed as supported by this board on Gigabyte’s website. I’m connecting to a monitor via hdmi and there is no output. I think it is posting, although I can’t be sure, because the drive activity light flashes, the power led stays on, and the dvd drive spins (I put a startup dvd in it), there is just no video and the monitor detects nothing. I’ve checked the things in the troubleshooting guide in this forum ... I have the cpu power connector in, the cpu seated correctly, the front panel pins seem fine, and I’ve tried booting with just one memory stick installed. Everything seems tightly seated.
oh and one other thing I tried. I used gigabyte’s q- flash method to flash the bios to a version known to work with my cpu. I was able to do this without video, but unfortunately it did not succeed in getting my video to work.
my case doesn’t have a speaker for beeps, but while I wait for the one I just ordered, is there anything I can do?

Last edited:
Solution
Hi linuxgrrl.

The Flashback function on the B550M DS3H is to be used with no CPU installed on the motherboard. If you tried using it with the CPU seated it might not work properly.

Download BIOS file. Extract the file. Put BIOS on the USB key. Rename the bios file to GIGABYTE.BIN. You put that USB key in the appropriate rear bios usb port. When the system is shutdown and the CPU not installed with that USB key in the good port you press that BIOS button for 2-3 seconds until it start flashing. When the flashing stop (it can take 5 mins) it should be good to go.

Can you please list your entire system specs including PSU brand and model?
Hi linuxgrrl.

The Flashback function on the B550M DS3H is to be used with no CPU installed on the motherboard. If you tried using it with the CPU seated it might not work properly.

Download BIOS file. Extract the file. Put BIOS on the USB key. Rename the bios file to GIGABYTE.BIN. You put that USB key in the appropriate rear bios usb port. When the system is shutdown and the CPU not installed with that USB key in the good port you press that BIOS button for 2-3 seconds until it start flashing. When the flashing stop (it can take 5 mins) it should be good to go.

Solution

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi linuxgrrl.

Thank you for your help. I flashed the BIOS again, following your directions exactly, this time with the CPU removed, and the Q-FLASH LED blinked a little longer this time (like a minute) so it may have worked better. I am still getting no video; however I can hear the DVD drive spinning even earlier in the process, so I think we made progress and it is POSTing except for video. I have checked and re-checked the monitor cable on both ends. I have also put in an old NVIDIA PCI video card to see if that works, but still nothing.

Here are my full specs:
PSU Silverstone Strider ST56f
MOBO Gigabyte B5550 DS3H
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3600 MHz
Drives Samsung 970 EVOPlus NVMe M2 (one is 500 GB, one is 1 TB)
LiteON DVD burner
Lian Li full size case

Last edited:

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you certain the RAM stick is pushed all the way down in it's slot?
Have you tried the second stick of RAM?
Have you tried different memory slots?
Are you certain the monitor input is set to HDMI?
Hi.
Thanks for responding. Yes, I pushed hard on the memory until the plastic "ears" at the edge of the bay came up to their full upright position and it clicked in very satisfying fashion. So I'm pretty sure they're properly seated. The MOBO manual is clear that certain slots are to be used with 2 sticks, and I've put them where they say to. I tried removing one stick, just to see what happens, but no difference.
The monitor is complaining that it has no input on HDMI, so I'm pretty sure it's set correctly.
Now what?

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update: I got video!!!!
Here's what I did: I installed a second HDMI cable so there are cables to the monitor from both the MOBO and the PCI card. Then, just for random difference, I plugged in one of my SATA drives from my previous computer. And the system started up to a beautiful BIOS screen! It said there was a boot error, so I went in and checked the BIOS settings and they looked OK on a first pass. I have never in my life been so happy to see a BIOS error :) The version was F10, so apparently my BIOS has been fine since the factory (I was trying to Q-flash version 5 I think).

The video is coming from the PCI card, not the motherboard, so I still need to work on that issue. Also, I really want to de-commission this SATA hard drive and boot from one of my new NVME drives. Any suggestions on what to do, given that (it appears) the system would not boot up a display without that SATA drive plugged in?

I'm trying now to install windows on the first NVME drive, so we'll see in a while if I can unplug the SATA drive and boot from NVME. Suggestions are welcome, especially on how to get the video to come from the integrated CPU in future boots.

Switing your motherboard to integrated graphics is located in the BIOS under "Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Output".
  • Settings
  • IO Ports
  • Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard graphics.
  • IGD Video (Note) - Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
  • PCIe 1 Slot - Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
  • PCIe 2 Slot - Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display.

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thank you for that. I found the setting and changed it to "IGD Video". I also changed the setting right below that to "force" thinking it would force IGD video to be used.

Well it's a good thing it didn't, because the IGD video did not work .... luckily it failed over to the PCI video card so I am typing this now :)

So to review the bidding: I still need help to get my IGD video going.

On the separate issue of the drives, I am now able to boot from the NVME drive without the SATA being plugged in. It must have needed to bootstrap, just that one time.

Thank you for that. I found the setting and changed it to "IGD Video". I also changed the setting right below that to "force" thinking it would force IGD video to be used.

Well it's a good thing it didn't, because the IGD video did not work .... luckily it failed over to the PCI video card so I am typing this now :)

So to review the bidding: I still need help to get my IGD video going.

On the separate issue of the drives, I am now able to boot from the NVME drive without the SATA being plugged in. It must have needed to bootstrap, just that one time.
If you go to Device Manager > Display adapters, do you see the "Radeon Vega 6 Graphics" drivers listed?

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nice that you got a post. IGPU should be working tho when you plug the monitor on the motherboard graphics port after changing the settings in the BIOS.

Gonna wait to see if you see the Radeon Vega 6 in the device manager in Windows.
Yes, the Radeon drivers appear there. I am in the process of applying a bunch of Win10 updates because my install disk was purchased a while back. In the middle of the updates, it switched to the Radeon graphics — yay!! — and then, one reboot later ... switched back to the PCI card, and seems to be stuck there. Boo. I’m a bit baffled, as I would think the BIOS would be deciding what graphics card to use, not the OS.

Yes, the Radeon drivers appear there. I am in the process of applying a bunch of Win10 updates because my install disk was purchased a while back. In the middle of the updates, it switched to the Radeon graphics — yay!! — and then, one reboot later ... switched back to the PCI card, and seems to be stuck there. Boo. I’m a bit baffled, as I would think the BIOS would be deciding what graphics card to use, not the OS.
Have you tried booting without the video card connected?

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good suggestion, and I just tried removing the video card and booting. As before, it booted (or something ...) to a black screen.
Then, I opened my DVD tray, which was empty, by pushing the button. Immediately the BIOS screen displayed and the machine booted up normally to Windows.
What the heck is going on? Why would opening the tray get the video to work?

linuxgrrl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update: I’ve now booted a few more times in the process of getting Linux installed, and I am tentatively ready to mark this solved, as it booted with video 3 times in a row. Phew.