Jan 28, 2022
I put together a new build today with the following components

• ryzen 7 5800x (w corsair h60 cooler)
  • msi gaming gtx 1050 ti 4g
  • b450 aorus pro wifi
  • 32g gskill memory @2666
  • samsung 970 evo plus 1t
  • evga 650 b5
I was concerned about needing a bios update for the b450 w/ my cpu so i bought an athlon 200ge just in case. At that point, the athlon still hadnt arrived and so i put everything else together to see if it posted with the 5800x.

With that, I turned on the power supply and the motherboard flashed as if it turned on, then immediately shut off again. I figured it was a BIOS version incompatibility so I swapped the ryzen for the athlon and removed the GPU but it did the same thing. Then I removed the PSU to try the paperclip test and the PSU fan begins to spin but stops (similar to the motherboard lights). I suppose the psu is fine, so im starting to suspect its the b450. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply. The b450 box does say it supports athlon cpus out of the box (200ge from BIOS version f31). Im more inclined to replace the b450 with a newer mobo, to hopefully sidestep the version issue. But is there any way I can be sure its the CPU at fault?
CPU compatibility list also shows which BIOS version is compatible with which gen of processors so later BIOS versons may have lost compatibility with Athlon like Asus did with my MB.
I put together a new build today with the following components

• ryzen 7 5800x (w corsair h60 cooler)
  • msi gaming gtx 1050 ti 4g
  • b450 aorus pro wifi
  • 32g gskill memory @2666
  • samsung 970 evo plus 1t
  • evga 650 b5
I was concerned about needing a bios update for the b450 w/ my cpu so i bought an athlon 200ge just in case. At that point, the athlon still hadnt arrived and so i put everything else together to see if it posted with the 5800x.

With that, I turned on the power supply and the motherboard flashed as if it turned on, then immediately shut off again. I figured it was a BIOS version incompatibility so I swapped the ryzen for the athlon and removed the GPU but it did the same thing. Then I removed the PSU to try the paperclip test and the PSU fan begins to spin but stops (similar to the motherboard lights). I suppose the psu is fine, so im starting to suspect its the b450. Any thoughts?
It's possible that Athlon 200Ge support was curtailed after "Real" Ryzen is introduced because that Athlon is not a real Ryzen but modified FM processor. You would need a real Ryzen, starting with R3 1200 or 2200g to update BIOS.

Jan 28, 2022
It's possible that Athlon 200Ge support was curtailed after "Real" Ryzen is introduced because that Athlon is not a real Ryzen but modified FM processor. You would need a real Ryzen, starting with R3 1200 or 2200g to update BIOS.
Thanks for the reply. The b450 box does say it supports athlon cpus out of the box (200ge from BIOS version f31). Im more inclined to replace the b450 with a newer mobo, to hopefully sidestep the version issue. But is there any way I can be sure its the CPU at fault?

CPU compatibility list also shows which BIOS version is compatible with which gen of processors so later BIOS versons may have lost compatibility with Athlon like Asus did with my MB.

Solution