[SOLVED] New build not powering on

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Hey guys

I just bought a bunch of new components and couldn't get the build to power on. I put everything together and couldn't get anything to power on, the PSU wouldn't even turn on when connected to the motherboard but would power on with the paperclip test. I couldn't jump the motherboard, tried different ram seatings, 1 stick of ram in different seatings, checked GPU on my old motherboard and double-checked PSU at the same time, making sure fans weren't shorting the motherboard. The only things I couldn't check individually were the Ram and CPU as my previous board is an intel B360 Gaming Plus board and only supports up to 2666mhz. I've returned the board and their testing team has said they couldn't replicate the fault and that the board has no issues.

The components I bought were

Gigabyte X570 gaming motherboard
AMD ryzen 7 3800x CPU
16gb DDR4 FlareX ram @ 3200mhz

The components I added were

Cougar GX800 V3 800W 80+ gold PSU
RX Vega 64

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing the issue? need help urgently

Thanks in advance

Should also add I have PSU and GPU in my current build both working perfectly

Last edited:
Solution
ram wouldnt prevent it from powering it on

try to power mainboard without anything attached to it (no cpu, no ram, etc)
start with connecting 24pin connector -> short power pins to power it on
then add EPS cable(s) one by one with each cable see if it powers on or not
Hey guys

I just bought a bunch of new components and couldn't get the build to power on. I put everything together and couldn't get anything to power on, the PSU wouldn't even turn on when connected to the motherboard but would power on with the paperclip test. I couldn't jump the motherboard, tried different ram seatings, 1 stick of ram in different seatings, checked GPU on my old motherboard and double-checked PSU at the same time, making sure fans weren't shorting the motherboard. The only things I couldn't check individually were the Ram and CPU as my previous board is an intel B360 Gaming Plus board and only supports up to 2666mhz. I've returned the board and their testing team has said they couldn't replicate the fault and that the board has no issues.

The components I bought were

Gigabyte X570 gaming motherboard
AMD ryzen 7 3800x CPU
16gb DDR4 FlareX ram @ 3200mhz

The components I added were

Cougar GX800 V3 800W 80+ gold PSU
RX Vega 64

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing the issue? need help urgently

Thanks in advance

Should also add I have PSU and GPU in my current build both working perfectly
Is it all mounted inside the case ?
Try with only MB, CPu, RAM and GPU outside of the case.

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Is it all mounted inside the case?
Try with only MB, CPU, RAM and GPU outside of the case.

Thanks for the reply

I tried inside and outside of the case. No matter what I try I'm not getting any power what so ever. The power supply won't power on when connected to the board but powers on in any other instance. I've rebuilt the intel build using the same power supply and GPU so it's not either of them and I'm sure the CPU wouldn't stop the PSU from powering on.

Mar 9, 2020
I don't know if this helps but right off the bat looking at motherboard specs I see that it only supports DDR4 3800 in an OC state per Neweggs specs. But based off the other information you have given I would say RAM. If you have some extra sticks you can add in or borrow a friends perhaps that might help to narrow it down. We can rule out the board since the testing team couldn't reproduce. You have the GPU and PSU running on a different setup if I read correctly, so that focuses in on CPU/RAM. I'd unseat the CPU and check the pins to make sure nothing is bent or out of sort and if a visual inspection shows no faults then try the new RAM like I said and if that still isn't an issue it's time to RMA the CPU and hopefully that fixes the issue.

• 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector

Thanks for the reply

I tried inside and outside of the case. No matter what I try I'm not getting any power what so ever. The power supply won't power on when connected to the board but powers on in any other instance. I've rebuilt the intel build using the same power supply and GPU so it's not either of them and I'm sure the CPU wouldn't stop the PSU from powering on.
Does that PSU have all connections required for that MB ?
  • 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
  • 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector

Solution

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
I don't know if this helps but right off the bat looking at motherboard specs I see that it only supports DDR4 3800 in an OC state per Neweggs specs. But based off the other information you have given I would say RAM. If you have some extra sticks you can add in or borrow a friends perhaps that might help to narrow it down. We can rule out the board since the testing team couldn't reproduce. You have the GPU and PSU running on a different setup if I read correctly, so that focuses in on CPU/RAM. I'd unseat the CPU and check the pins to make sure nothing is bent or out of sort and if a visual inspection shows no faults then try the new RAM like I said and if that still isn't an issue it's time to RMA the CPU and hopefully that fixes the issue.

Hey man

https://www.umart.com.au/Gigabyte-X570-Gaming-X-AM4-ATX-Motherboard_51590G.html this is where I bought the motherboard. It says in there that it supports anything down to 2133 but I'll definitely keep these things in mind once the board gets back

Thanks for the reply

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go when the board gets back

dannb1989

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Ok, guys

RA form said they hadn't found a fault but they ended up sending back a brand new board. Put everything together today and it's 100%. thanks so much for your replies, guys! I was super stressed when after they had told me there was no fault and knowing I had new things to try when the board came back was a good weight off my shoulders!