[SOLVED] new build not powing on

Nov 26, 2021
hello im new here and having issues with a build im doing. ive built a new pc but it will not power on, i have tried starting it with a screwdriver but it wont work. i can jump start it with paperclip and fans and hard drive power on so i am assuming the power supply, hard drive and fans all work fine. i really dont know what to do now so any help or advice would be appriciated.

components: asus rog strix b250f motherboard
asus geforce cerberus 1050 ti graphics card
16gb ddr4 ram
intel i5 9600k cpu
Corsair CP-9020132

thankyou for any help i get.

Your motherboard and CPU are not compatible. Intel did something stupid and made motherboards and CPUs with the same number of pins and name (LGA1151) incompatible with each other. So, I honestly can't blame anyone for getting them mixed up.

Here's the breakdown:

100 and 200 series motherboards are compatible with 6th and 7th-gen CPUs.
300 series motherboards are compatible with 8th and 9th-gen CPUs.

So, you will either need to get a 300 series motherboard (with an updated BIOS); or a 6th or 7th-gen CPU. Or, go with a 400 or 500 series motherboard and a 10th or 11th-gen CPU.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021
okay so ive been stupid, is there any that you would recommend for someone on a tight budget? this cpu cost me £100 already so money is tight. thankyou for your help sorry for wasting time i didnt realise it wouldnt be compatible

Solution