New build not turning on - Motherboard / CPU faulty ?

Mar 6, 2018
Hello All,
I have configured a new build with MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC, with Intel 8th Gen core I5 8600K CPU.

I am having trouble turning on the whole system.

1. Initially, I assumed motherboard is the issue, so I also tried it with Gigabyte Gaming 5 motherboard. When I turn on the power supply, lights turn on the motherboard and then suddenly stops and never lights up again, unless I toggle the power sully.
2. Thinking this could be a power supply issue I have also done paper clip test on the power supply and tried with another different brand power supply as well.

I had connected CPU cooler fan to CPU fan header.

Could this be the issue with the CPU itself?

I tried running at the very minimum, with CPU and Motherboard. Motherboard just lights up and turnsoff. No sound nothing. Power supply fan doesn't even move at all.

Solution
Solution
I'd definitely disconnect all the auxiliary stuff - especially everything associated with the on/off button/reset etc and disconnect all USB stuff and remove the GPU (if you have one). Make sure the mobo isn't shorting on the case or anything else (check clearances).

In many cases the power supply fan will not spin up until it reaches a designated temperature. So the PSU fan may not be an issue. The CPU and case fans should spin up though even with a weak power supply. The power supply may be detecting a fault and shutting off.