New build, not working?!

stormtrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Hey there, I just picked up parts for my new build, put it together, and am having problems. With my first PSU that was in it, the computer would boot, and all the fans would boot, but I would receive no Video or USB power. When I put in a bigger watt PSU, the lights on the Mobo light up, and the fans on the heatsink start to turn, then it shuts off. It turns itself back on, and repeat.

The specs are
Z97x Gaming 7 Mobo
Nvidia GTX 750ti
400w then 500w PSU
6gb's of RAM
Intel i5 quad core processor.

If you need any more info, just ask.

Solution
Im confused with this guy Gagan that keep on like telling about thermal compound.

Hey mate, he didn't even CAN BOOT HIS Computer, that had nothing to do with Overheating, and thermal compound that will cool his CPU (His CPU is not even BOOT bruh)

Ok @storm definitely its mobo then, try to get a refund or lend some others mobo first if you can to try.

stormtrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I'm getting no beep codes, I've tried taking out the sticks of RAM. I also forgot to mention that I am using a Harddrive from my old build, if that makes a difference. The processor is properly in there, and the fan is running fine.

Nerdboy

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
This is a major issue as the thermal paste is what does over 99% of the heat transfer from the cpu to the heatsink. Normal paste is avg 2usd but expensive paste can be any where from 5-20 usd. And honestly the expensive paste does a 1cel diff in temps (this is compared to other thermal pastes). But with no thermal paste at all the cpu will just over heat and shut down as a safety feature.

stormtrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I just put the 400w PSU in it, and it stays turned on, which leads me to think it's not the processor, but I'll pick up a tube of paste and see if that makes the difference.

Nerdboy

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Just turning on isn't just it dude. When you play games u use more of ur cpu, when you do that it generates heat (basically like a human running, when he runs he sweats but instead of ur pc sweating it loses it's heat through the heatsink) the cpu will definitely shut down later on in the line due to a heat issue if ur not using thermal paste.

Nerdboy

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
How can he check it without bieng able to even post or boot to the bios on the pc??? Only way I can think is an external thermometer and it would have issues trying to get accurate temp with it shutting down ...