Question New build, nothing is powering up

chasingstatic23455

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
SO I finally got my new build together complete with water cooling. I made the mistake of not testing everything outside the case. When I plugged my pump and lighting into the PSU, it all worked fine. Pump was pumping, fans were spinning, PSU was glowing. The issue is when I plug the 24pin into the motherboard. The only thing that comes on is the RGB on my motherboard. Not even the PSU kicks on. I took everything apart and built it outside of the case and still just the rgb on the motherboard. Took components off one by one and still nothing. Tried a different PSU and still nothing. No beeps from the speaker, no fan going on the PSU. I ordered a new motherboard (same one) and just tried it... still, nothing but the RGB on the motherboard. All the parts are new. Need help. :(

Motherboard: Asus ROG strix z390e
PSU: Thermaltake 700w RGB
CPU: i5-9600k
RAM: Gskill Tridentz RGB DDR4 3200
GPU: 2070 RTX
Cooling: EKWB

let's disconnect all RGB extraneous junk, all SATA power/data cables, all removeable USB headers, ...in fact, I'd leave all pump related stuff disconnected, but, you can leave pump mounted, just connect a chassis fan to CPU FAN so that MB is satisfied one is present, and check for different results...
YOu need only 24 pin ATX, and 4 or 8 pin CPU ATX power,ad PWR SW to MB...

Remove GPU entirely...that way we are sure nothing CPU/MB/RAM related is preventing power on/POST....

Drop to a single stick of RAM...retest....

(At some point, you might need to inspect CPU socket to be sure CPU did not shift when locking down the heatsink, bending any MB socket pins, etc...)

Perhaps a header related to fans, pumps, or RGB went astray, nuking the PSU at some point....?

chasingstatic23455

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Nothing. Only hooked up the mb speaker, pwr sw, CPU, CPU Fan, cpu power and 24pin power... same thing. The PSU doesn't spin up, but the rgb on the motherboard does. Then I plug my PSU into my 24pin ATX jumper bridge and the psu powers up fine.