[SOLVED] New build now getting " Ethernet doesn't have a Valid IP Configuration" error ?

WarChicken

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
I just upgraded the mobo, cpu, memory, and storage in my pc. I installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on the new M.2 SSD. From a search it seems there are a lot of things that could cause this, but being as everything worked before these components changed, am I safe in assuming I should address something there? Maybe mobo drivers? I'm a bit nooby, so it's just a guess. This is an ethernet connection.

MSI Pro B660M-A DDr4 is the mobo. Thanks!

Solution
Generally you need 2 drivers the first is a motherboard driver you get from the motherboard manufacture. Most times the ethernet interface does not even appear without this one.
Most times I recommend getting the network drivers directly from the manufactures web site but realtek lately has been a pain to find them. Because your board is using the 2.5g chip you really want the latest drivers because of all the strange issues.....but your problem is much more basic so that by itself is not the problem.

The older drivers most times that come with the motherboard likely will function enough so you could download newer ones.
Although there are many sites that have realtek drivers you have to be careful about ones that are not...
Generally you need 2 drivers the first is a motherboard driver you get from the motherboard manufacture. Most times the ethernet interface does not even appear without this one.
Most times I recommend getting the network drivers directly from the manufactures web site but realtek lately has been a pain to find them. Because your board is using the 2.5g chip you really want the latest drivers because of all the strange issues.....but your problem is much more basic so that by itself is not the problem.

The older drivers most times that come with the motherboard likely will function enough so you could download newer ones.
Although there are many sites that have realtek drivers you have to be careful about ones that are not reputable or in many cases have very old drivers.

My best guess would be the windows 10 program on this one. Not sure why they have some program rather than just the drivers. Then again it makes it somewhat simpler since this program supports many boards and it will load the correct one for your board....you hope.

https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software

Now it might be even simpler. Check IPV4 setting for the nic and make sure it is enabled to start with and then in the setting make sure it is set to automatically get a IP. Since this is the default setting generally people know when they have changed things on this screen.

Reactions: WarChicken
Solution