New build, old PSU

tRad23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hey guys,
So I am expecting the parts for my new build in the next few days but the only thing I didn't buy was a new power supply. The current one I have now is a Ultra X4 750W. Now I know this PSU has gotten a lot of bad reviews in the past but it has been working flawlessly for me for the last 3 years or so (knock on wood). My previous computer had a phenom II x4 955, MSI 790fx motherboard, 4gb ddr2, HD 5750 and 500gb sata HD. Nothing special or extreme and I never really ran it hard or for extended periods of time.
The link to my new build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hbp7
If I could squeak by and not have to buy a new power supply, that would be great! So what do you guys think?

The wattage is enough, and should run your new system fine. Did your old system die? PSU is one of those things you want to get something good. Reliability is only one factor with a PSU. If your old system died, there's a chance the PSU killed it. Ultra makes quite a range of PSUs, some good, some bad, and I'm not sure where the X4 comes in, but 750w is enough to run your system.

tRad23

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Fortunately my old system didn't die, I just thought it was time for something a little newer. I'm just skeptical now because I did some research and I noticed quite a few bad reviews floating around on the x4.

Reviews are sometimes hard to go by, a lot of time people will get a DOA unit or forget to plug something in correctly or whatever, there are a lot of reasons to write a bad review, but if it's doing it's job, not many reasons to write a good one. Take it with a grain of salt, if you think you need a new one, by all means, pick something new up that has a known reliability record like Seasonic, PC Power, XFX, etc. etc. But if you look, even the good ones have some bad reviews. Just something that happens. I have an XFX 650w that's 6 years old, and I love it, it's running a 3570k, and a pair of 7870s overclocked and cryptomining 24/7, who could ask for more? BTW, you could get by with a reliable 550/600w easy with just the one 270. Last month I found an XFX pro 650w for 39 shipped after rebate, the deals are out there. Put it in my Moms computer, runs great. You can always upgrade later, and if it didn't kill your last system in three years, there's a good chance it'll last you another few years at least. I have noticed that the better PSUs have better warranties. Maybe you could use that as a gauge.